Is DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mp turret an overkill for indoor?

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there

I've been reading up this forum for a week now and almost down to the conclusion to make a purchase.
Would it be an overkill to use Hikvision's DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mp turrets for indoors? I might consider using one on the porch. I've read all the pro's and cons.
Reason being I've managed to find a seller that sells Turrets for the same price as the 4mp bullets.

Just to confirm that this DS-7608NI-E2 will be sufficient for my set up which I'm intending to use 5 units x DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mp turrets. A 2nd pair of eyes be good.

Turret:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-English-Version-IP-Camera-4-0-megapixel-V5-3-3-Multi-Language-IR-Bullet-Camera/32437275263.html?spm=2114.30010308.0.1069.NzbeFU

NVR:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/In-stock-DS-7608NI-E2-8CH-NVR-with-2SATA-HDMI-and-VGA-output-Embedded-Plug-Play/1912076_32490339300.html

Cheers guys

:rapture:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Depends, I wouldn't put it personally anywhere indoors except garage maybe. I prefer less intrusive look of 2432 or even mini dome

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what would be overkill about it? looks like it'd work fine indoors.. are you concerned its too big?

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depends, I wouldn't put it personally anywhere indoors except garage maybe. I prefer less intrusive look of 2432 or even mini dome
I haven't looked much into the mini dome as everyone was talking about either the turret or bullet for the 4mp hikvisions. Mini dome seems less intrusive but value for money, it doesn't seem like many suppliers out there can do a price close to what I've managed to find.

what would be overkill about it? looks like it'd work fine indoors.. are you concerned its too big?
Yeh that's my concern whether it's too big....and also specs wise.

Can anyone confirm whether the NVR combo with these turrets will work perfectly? I was going to opt for the chinese version until I saw the price this seller was going for

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

aztihg

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the one in the link you posted has 8 independent PoE network interfaces according to the specs.

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, the one in the link you posted has 8 independent PoE network interfaces according to the specs.
Much appreciated. A 2nd pair of eyes is always best otherwise I would have ordered the wrong one

Managed to find size comparison of the turret to the mini but can't find one yet to the bullet.
p1020794_1_5.jpg

aztihg

n3wb
Reaction score
I have bullet, turret and dome cameras and the bullets are the largest of them.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the 3mp turrets indoors and really like them. size is fine and quality is great real clean look.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thanks for your input. I do agree they look less like CCTVs and more like a light or sensor
For indoor I would prefer DS-2CD2432F-IW. It's also 4:3 format which I prefer and the day/indoor quality is as good as DS-2CD2342WD-I, plus you get audio, speaker, PIR all built in.

afddwfadwfadwf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD3345-I. How is it different from DS-2CD2342WD-I? At 6144kbps max variable rate, the video quality looks pretty good. Not sure why you would think 4MP would be overkill. If you want to read letters off something, 4MP is not sufficient.

btw mine has 2.8mm lens

Last edited by a moderator:

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Guess it really depends on the size room and perhaps which lens you use also..The smaller the room and/or higher mm lens, the less megapix you'll need. I've tried a 3mp with the 4mm lens in a fairly small room and even that was overkill...But, for a larger room and/or wider lens angle, the 3mp may not provide as much fine detail as you need. It certainly wouldn't hurt to get the 4mp, unless your goal is to "get the job done" at the lowest cost possible or unless you're needing to conserve as much bandwidth or DVR space as possible...Otherwise, it's better to overkill than to risk not having enough.

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD3345-I. How is it different from DS-2CD2342WD-I? At 6144kbps max variable rate, the video quality looks pretty good. Not sure why you would think 4MP would be overkill. If you want to read letters off something, 4MP is not sufficient.

btw mine has 2.8mm lens
They're essentially the same thing except your's is the chinese version which can't be upgraded

I'm expecting to use 2.8mm wide to cover the big rooms within the house and I chose the 4mp version mainly for the night time lux performance

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They're essentially the same thing except your's is the chinese version which can't be upgraded

I'm expecting to use 2.8mm wide to cover the big rooms within the house and I chose the 4mp version mainly for the night time lux performance
3345 is also plastic base. They have different firmwares, the WDR is better on the 2342WD-I. Is it double the price better? No. But if you want warranty, firmware updates, compatibility and maybe 5% better then it could add up.