Is iDMSS still the best ptz viewer for iOS? If so, how to add cameras?

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I miss Live Cams Pro for iOS! If anyone knows of a good replacement, let me know.

I'm trying to set up a friend's iPad to be able to control a Dahua PTZ camera and using iDMSS and wow is this program terrible. But I know it works, I was able to successfully install a camera on it once, but I can't figure out the steps to do that again.

When the app launches I click one of the grid of 4 plusses and I get a screen labelled Device List at the top. So far so good.

But then when I click the + at top right I get a screen that wants me to scan a qr code or "enter the serial number manually".

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found DMSS:

And it almost works. Well even. I got one camera entered, all set. But when I go to enter the next camera, which has the same settings but a different ip#, it says "login timeout" and then won't save the camera info.

I don't imagine anyone knows how to fix?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might give OWLR a try, I've heard some good things.

Too bad that BabyMonitor with PTZ for iOS by the creator of Tiny Cam disappeared from the Apple Store; lots of disappointed folks. But even Tiny Cam for Android doesn't seem to be supported any more either. It's creator @alexvas hasn't posted on IPCT since Dec. 2020.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
try Imou Life, i like that better dmss
I just installed it. Are you sure it works with Dahua cameras? It seems to only work with cameras made by Lmou Life.

If it works with other cameras, what device model do you choose while setting up the camera?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Your problem isn’t DMSS it’s most likely getting to know how it works.

Is this PTZ connected to an NVR or is it stand alone on your friends network?

Are you trying to add it while on his network? The same network the PTZ is on?

Are you adding via IP address? I assume something like 192.168.1.108?

“Login Timeout” usually refers to a bad user/pass

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your problem isn’t DMSS it’s most likely getting to know how it works.

Is this PTZ connected to an NVR or is it stand alone on your friends network?

Are you trying to add it while on his network? The same network the PTZ is on?

Are you adding via IP address? I assume something like 192.168.1.108?

“Login Timeout” usually refers to a bad user/pass
It works perfectly from Tiny Cams Pro (android) and Easyptz (windows). The credentials and address are good.

And yes adding with an IP (a lan ip, and yes I'm inside the lan).

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
You might give OWLR a try, I've heard some good things.

Too bad that BabyMonitor with PTZ for iOS by the creator of Tiny Cam disappeared from the Apple Store; lots of disappointed folks. But even Tiny Cam for Android doesn't seem to be supported any more either. It's creator @alexvas hasn't posted on IPCT since Dec. 2020.
Has anyone used OWLR here?

does it work better than DMSS?

mocckba

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed it. Are you sure it works with Dahua cameras? It seems to only work with cameras made by Lmou Life.

If it works with other cameras, what device model do you choose while setting up the camera?
Yes, its. Work with dahua cams.You need sign up imou. Then add cam by scan cameras qr code.

mocckba

n3wb
Reaction score
I found DMSS:

And it almost works. Well even. I got one camera entered, all set. But when I go to enter the next camera, which has the same settings but a different ip#, it says "login timeout" and then won't save the camera info.

I don't imagine anyone knows how to fix?
Did you initilized ip cams? Have got nvr? Dhcp on?

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you initilized ip cams? Have got nvr? Dhcp on?
I don't have an NVR, connecting to the cameras directly. Fixed IP addresses. No idea what "initialized ip cams" means. I can view and control the cameras in Tiny Cams Pro on Android.

mocckba

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have an NVR, connecting to the cameras directly. Fixed IP addresses. No idea what "initialized ip cams" means. I can view and control the cameras in Tiny Cams Pro on Android.
You need connect camara and pc in one network. On pc install dahua ip config tools. Scan . If you will see uninitilezed cam- do it.

Attachments

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You need connect camara and pc in one network. On pc install dahua ip config tools. Scan . If you will see uninitilezed cam- do it.
So by "initialized" you mean set up? They are, been using these cameras for years through other apps, just can't get any iOS app to work with them.

mocckba

n3wb
Reaction score
So by "initialized" you mean set up? They are, been using these cameras for years through other apps, just can't get any iOS app to work with them.
Will try Imou Life if not yet. Works on pc, ios, android
But need to see your cam setting. Can you access to camer by web interface?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No need to "initialize" with the Config tool. Can cause more problems than its worth.

All you have to do is login to the camera IP, it will walk you through "initialization" which consists of picking a time zone and a password.

With Dahua PoE NVRs (assuming a new or defaulted Dahua camera) you simply connect, login and done