Is Intel QuickSync feature important only if one is encoding?

BrownChiLD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand correctly but the advise is to use INTEL processor with QuickSync feature to have a better performing BI box. But to my limited understanding it seems this feature is only useful if ENCODING streams.

In all my BI installs I've always used direct2disc encoding and i never found the reason not to. So for my case, do i still need to spend on Intel with QS? Will QS do me any good at all if im using direct2disc recording anyway?

regards

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Modern Intel CPU's with dedicated graphics, include a core that is dedicated to H\W coding and decoding. From 9th Gen onwards these cores really pack some punch.
Is QuickSync required : No, infact CPU decoding is slightly more accurate and more compatible.
Will QuickSync Help : Absolutely, you need to decode footage for BI to process motion triggers.
When to use Quicksync : You want the most efficient setup possible. Decoding via Quicksync is more efficient than CPU and a lot more efficient than GPU (GPU is faster but not very efficient)
Older computer. using quicksync frees up the CPU cores, so it's like free computing, or wasted computing if you don't use the quicksync core.
Modern CPU, sure the CPU's are super powerful with tons of cores, however they also come with one hell of a powerful decoding\encoding core. What a waste if you don't use it.
It's wrong just to look at CPU utilisation alone, CPU's adjust their core speed as required, so you need to check utilisation along with clock speed. Remember a CPU at 80% utilisation running at base clock speed is consuming less power than a CPU with 10% utilisation running maximum clock speed. ie: getting work off your CPU may allow the compute cores to drop down clock speed reducing heat and power consumption.

For viewing (H.264 only) you should also try "direct-to-wire", that basically uses no measurable CPU to view live footage.
QuickSync, Direct to Disk, Sub-Streams, Direct-To-Wire, you can basically run BlueIris from the smell of an oily rag.

BrownChiLD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you

Ohh ok so main takeaway is that, apart from encoding, QS also helps in DECODING live feed (unless direct-to-wire is used). Interesting.

I've been running BI lately on AMD R3 and R5 machines to save costs and they've been working well actually - granted they only have 8cams or so. I think QS will become really helpful if managing a lot of cams, ey?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Around the time DeepStack was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack). Some have also been fine.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (event the internal intel one) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

No reason to use it anymore. In fact I disabled and deleted the graphics driver in device manager as a test and my system hummed right along.