Is is nuts to place a cam in an inner corner?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it complete nuts to put a camera in an inner corner of a house, please see attached pics.

A couple of dealers has advised to put the cam on the outer corner.

As I see it, by mounting it in the inner corner I get an good view of the doors and windows and also an overview of my backyard. A person will we walking towards the camera instead of coming up from behind of the camera and thereby be able to tamper with the cam.

What do you all think would be the best mounting position when looking at the attached pics?

Thanks.

Br Søren

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No pics are attached.

But in my own opinion it is best to have a cam in both positions so you see them from both sides.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It appears that both those areas need a 2.8mm lense to catch both sides from being placed in the corners.

Reaction score
I was also thinking of a 2.8mm for picture 1. The door is about 2m / 6.5 ft away. The window is closer.

In picture 2 the door/window farthest away is 33.8 ft from the corner mounting point. That is too much for a 2.8 lens, as you mention.

Would a single 4 mm cam be able to cover all windows/doors if mounted in the eave from where the picture is taken? I would loose the overview but save some money not having to use two cams.

Br Søren

Sent using Tapatalk

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
for what its worth, i have a hik dome with a 2.8mm lens on it in an inside corner (maybe 85degrees?), and it doesn't quite cover a full 90degrees, and as others mention, you loose detail at any distance with such a wide lens.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have a 4mm lens on any of my cameras, but based on my 12mm 2CD2232 being able to see someone very clearly at 30ft at night, and being just about adequate at 42ft at night I would say that you are going to need a bit more than 4mm to identify someone at night at 33ft. Mind you my 2CD2232 is working in an extremely dark area, and you have some 5w LED lighting in that area, so your mileage may vary.
Perhaps someone who actually has a Hikvision camera with a 4mm lens can chip in. :)
I'm playing with my 4mp Dahua turret with the 3.6mm lens, and although I am impressed with the nighttime image, I'd say that without additional lighting, facial recognition is a snap at 10', marginal at best at 20', and impossible at 30'.

My recommendation would be that if you know you're going to have at least one camera with a particular lens size, go ahead and buy it, and then do some evaluations of that camera temporarily mounted in a number of locations around the property. Here is how I'm mounting the Dahua... http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=10137.0

Reaction score
I'm playing with my 4mp Dahua turret with the 3.6mm lens, and although I am impressed with the nighttime image, I'd say that without additional lighting, facial recognition is a snap at 10', marginal at best at 20', and impossible at 30'.

My recommendation would be that if you know you're going to have at least one camera with a particular lens size, go ahead and buy it, and then do some evaluations of that camera temporarily mounted in a number of locations around the property. Here is how I'm mounting the Dahua... http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=10137.0
Very clever, thanks. I have a floor mopping "tool" that looks much likes yours. Thanks for sharing.

Br Søren

Sent using Tapatalk