Is it just me?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm coming up on 3 years on here and still feel like a newbie! I try to read over the cliff notes and wiki once in a while. All of the experienced folks have so much knowledge!

I started with a cheap Defender analog system when I bought our house. Then I "upgraded" to a Lorex HDCVI system and thought the image was amazing. That started having issues so u started researching. My neighbor was also looking and found Blue Iris. I research that, leading me to here, and the hobby began! I've been on BI for a while and just bought the last cameras needed to replace all my Lorex cameras.

Everyone at work knows about my hobby so they all come to me asking about cameras. My response differs depending on what their technical background is. Even the more knowledgeable folks just want a plug and play system and insist on Costco kits. When they first ask I send them the link to the cliff notes and try to explain what I know about chasing MPs believing it will be better. So far I haven't succeed in talking away from box kits. Heck, I just replaced and Analog DVR for a guy two weeks ago because he didn't want to run new cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, seeing this a lot recently. Newbies replying to threads that are 2+ years old and have not been active since OP. Answering them like it was asked yesterday.
They can’t really win can they, if they post asking the same question they get told to search and slated but if they search and reply to an old thread which they regard as being appropriate they get slated

Reaction score
They can’t really win can they, if they post asking the same question they get told to search and slated but if they search and reply to an old thread which they regard as being appropriate they get slated
That makes no sense. It's not an either or. We ask that folks READ the Cliff Notes and WIKI and do a search. If that does not help, ask away. And depending on the question, most experienced folks will give an answer, coupled with a suggestion to read the Cliff Notes ect. The recommendation to do a search is for them to learn something, not to give direction to someone else.

If they do a search and come across a thread that has been a couple of years since anyone posted, and they give direction, what was the purpose of leaving that post?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
That makes no sense. It's not an either or. We ask that folks READ the Cliff Notes and WIKI and do a search. If that does not help, ask away. And depending on the question, most experienced folks will give an answer, coupled with a suggestion to read the Cliff Notes ect. The recommendation to do a search is for them to learn something, not to give direction to someone else.

If they do a search and come across a thread that has been a couple of years since anyone posted, and they give direction, what was the purpose of leaving that post?
Necroposters might be trying to up their post count to look more bona fide and be taken more seriously.

When I joined years ago, I had already bought Hik equipment based on recommendations from knowledgeable local folks some of whom are actually here. I didn't find this place until I was getting ready to set it all up.

I absorbed the wiki and was pretty satisfied with everything until I outgrew the Hik NVR and moved to BI on a used business PC per the thread on how to buy a BI PC. I add a few cams every year based on what I read here. It's a fun hobby!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
With the influx of new users there seems to be a lot of "what do I need for this (fill in the blank) situation". No details, no clue of what they're actually asking and, when given direction to read the help that's already available, they just repeat the same question over and over again. It's getting a little old, but I understand those without a clue may not even know what to ask or how to evaluate what they read, assuming they actually read what's offered.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I was afraid to ask questions. I just watched, and read threads. then when I thought I knew something....Boy i'd find out I don't know jack....and I'd shut up again. Now I know some basics. enough steer some people towrds a possible answer. But lately it seems like click bait. " hi I want to do blah blah blah , with blah blah blah, and I'm pretty sure it'll work, but,,,,( 3 pages of stubborn forum posts and wasted time)

Reaction score
Never had a problem reading or asking a question. I do try to do my research first, then dig, and dig some more. But the questions will inevitably come, and that is fine as well. Never had anyone be rude or a jerk to me on here, and if they were, maybe I'm to slow to have noticed. :) I think people here are very understanding and very patient. IDK...maybe its just me. I always have my daughters try to solve something before they come to me....they know better. But when the 'Which is better' questions comes up, there will always be a bit of heated answers/debate. That is a good thing. IMO

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do veteran users here get private messages from n00bs asking questions for answers that can easily be found in the Wiki?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as it isn't a random user that happens to also have a Tinder account :rofl: You don't want to know how many fake profiles are lurking there. Google News sheds light on a lot of these so-called fake profiles :lmao:

Can't say that I have.

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think a big part of it is that for the last few years really good, usable camera's have come down in price.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If that were the motivation why are there so many newbies with $30 and $40 cameras asking why they don't perform? The answer is they buy on an impulse based on hyped advertising claims. Then, when confronted with the fact that those cameras don't work very well and a good "inexpensive" camera means a $125-$225 investment per camera they get defensive about their original purchase saying "why should I spend $150 when a $30 camera will work just as well" when it flat out doesn't which is why they end up here in the first place.