Is it possible to adjust zoom on a varifocus camera from the BI mobile app?

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On my 100 yard range, it is somewhat difficult to get my "target cameras" dialed in. I am using 5mm - 50mm (one 60mm) cameras that are about 85 yards down range, and then zoomed into the targets at 100 yards. I am trying to center the target in the monitor and zoom in so that it mostly fills the screen. The adjustments on the camera base are not setup for a fine-tuned adjustment like this, so it's a bit of a chore. I take my phone down range and get up on a ladder with my phone and the BI app and I can view the camera feed, but can I adjust the zoom? I suppose I could open the camera's portal in the browser and make zoom adjustments there, but was wondering if possible to do it in BI.

Shark92651

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know if there is some configuration or setting required to get it to work? I couldn't get it to work with my new Dahua camera. I tried just now with my generic Chinese cams and those do work, however.

My new camera is Loryta IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E 5mm - 64mm that I purchased on Amazon. The web interface looks pretty much identical to my Dahua cameras.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
In the BI app no special config was needed on my cams with varifocal lenses.
check to see that the zoom works on the BI PC first,
because if it's disabled in some setting there,
it would not work in the App.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For your Dahua vari-focal, try this:
  • In BI, put in cam's IP, username, password and click on "Find/Inspect".
  • Then under BI's camera "settings" =>"PTZ/Control" try "Dahua New V4" in the pull-down and "OK"
Several forums members have successfully used this method.

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you know if there is some configuration or setting required to get it to work? I couldn't get it to work with my new Dahua camera. I tried just now with my generic Chinese cams and those do work, however.
Yes it matters how BI sees your camera. You can allow BI to analyze the camera for you but sometimes you need to manually set the model for features to work.