Is it possible to have the IVS one one camera to tell another camera to record.

morelup

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have recently been working on using a z12e for recording license plate capture. With the z12e zoomed in that much it doesn't recognize the motion events of vehicles passing by. I have a 5442 in an overview position with IVS successfully identifying cars about to enter the field of view of the z12e.

I have my NVR recording 24x7 both streams so, I have full access but for redundancy I like having events also being stored on an SD card on the cameras themselves. Is it possible for the 5442's IVS event to trigger recording on the z12e's SD card?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You wouldn't be able to achieve this with the box standard OS of the Dahua NVR.. But you could easily do this in BlueIris! Set camera B to trigger and record when mention is detected on camera A.
This what makes BI one of the best peace's of software going... So much flexibility!
If you don't use BI you can download it for free and try it for 15 days for free. You can easily pick up a $150 PC to run it on if you decide to stick with it. (probably even cheaper if you have the time and effort to shop around)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No you cannot have BI trigger to save to the camera SD card.

Now it is possible with BI or an NVR to have one camera trigger another camera to record within the VMS, but that doesn't tell it to record to the SD card.

Using the Z12E for LPR, you cannot use the IVS rules. The camera needs enough time to see the object, determine if it meets the criteria, run it thru the AI, and decide if it needs to trigger or not. The tight zoom just doesn't allow for that, especially at night.

You have to use plain ole motion detection for the Z12E to record the plate to the SD card. I have been doing it this way for years and haven't missed one.

I also have it running in 24/7 recording in BI just in case, but when I have compared, they match. Now you will get the occasional bug cause it to trigger and record to the SD card.

Last edited:

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No you cannot have BI trigger to save to the camera SD card.

Now it is possible with BI or an NVR to have one camera trigger another camera to record within the VMS, but that doesn't tell it to record to the SD card.

Using the Z12E for LPR, you cannot use the IVS rules. The camera needs enough time to see the object, determine if it meets the criteria, run it thru the AI, and decide if it needs to trigger or not. The tight zoom just doesn't allow for that, especially at night.

You have to use plain ole motion detection for the Z12E to record the plate to the SD card. I have been doing it this way for years and haven't missed one.

I also have it running in 24/7 recording in BI just in case, but when I have compared, they match. Now you will get the occasional bug cause it to trigger and record to the SD card.
Sorry if I didn't make this clear, I was referring to your BI hard drive not to SD cards on each individual camera... So CAM A detects motion and tells CAM B to also record both CAM's onto the BI storage location and not the SD card... Apologies for not making this clear from what I wrote I thought it was... Well it was in my head :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if I didn't make this clear, I was referring to your BI hard drive not to SD cards on each individual camera... So CAM A detects motion and tells CAM B to also record both CAM's onto the BI storage location and not the SD card... Apologies for not making this clear from what I wrote I thought it was... Well it was in my head :)
Yes that is possible with an NVR or BI and probably other VMS systems.