Is my network setup ideal?

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was doing a bit of reading on the forums and I found myself questioning whether or not my Computer (BI Server) should be plugged directly into the ASUS Router. It is currently plugged into a dumb switch that my POE switches are also plugged into.

Just curious if anyone has any knowledgeable feedback on this? Thank you

bi setup.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You never want the cameras to have to go thru the router to get to the BI computer, so that is correct above.

HOWEVER, you really don't want your cameras having access to the router, so best practice would either be have that a managed VLAN switch or dual NIC your BI computer and have the cameras go from that unmanaged switch to one NIC in the computer and then the other NIC can go to the router.

Trouttuber

n3wb
Reaction score
You never want the cameras to have to go thru the router to get to the BI computer, so that is correct above.

HOWEVER, you really don't want your cameras having access to the router, so best practice would either be have that a managed VLAN switch or dual NIC your BI computer and have the cameras go from that unmanaged switch to one NIC in the computer and then the other NIC can go to the router.
Question, what would the recommended setup be the same if just using a NVR (no BI computer)? Be gentle, virtually a techno idiot here. LOL

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Note 1 is not correct though, depending on the settings the camera's still have access to internet.
Only if you bridge the connections, enable dynamic routing, or define a static route. Whether or not the cameras can connect to the internet depends on how your configure the PC. Generally I believe the default settings would block camera internet access.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If the cameras have no internet access how do you prefer to set/sync their time? (assuming they can no longer ping an NTP)

Reaction score
Only if you bridge the connections, enable dynamic routing, or define a static route. Whether or not the cameras can connect to the internet depends on how your configure the PC. Generally I believe the default settings would block camera internet access.
So in other words, only if you force the PC's setting to do just that. The whole purpose is to keep them separate, so why would you change the settings to defeat that?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
AH... marvelous. Can you recommend a good NIC for my BI Server? I'm not sure if i should get a USB one or PCIe? Thank you!
I'd recommend PCIe. The main question is whether or not you need a low profile card (eg a SFF pc)

Use some common sense and you'll be fine. Brands like intel, broadcom, StarTech, SIIG, and TP-Link should all be adequate.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So in other words, only if you force the PC's setting to do just that. The whole purpose is to keep them separate, so why would you change the settings to defeat that?
It's always possible Microsoft could roll out an update that changes this behavior at some point. I suppose technically there's a physical connection and the isolation occurs at L2 or L3. Reminds me of my 9 year old self trying to do something similar unable to make it work screaming into the void and cursing at Windows 95 (before I really understood networking).

There are situations where someone wants to use a PC with multiple NICs to preform routing, often paired with another function like a firewall.

Last edited:

misterfredsr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AH... marvelous. Can you recommend a good NIC for my BI Server? I'm not sure if i should get a USB one or PCIe? Thank you!
I used my only PCIe for adding a WD purple so I had used a USB. Works great, plug it in.

MicahJames

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I used this one, but it was back in 2018:

Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PCI Express Gigabit Adapter
I installed the NIc to my PC tonight and have everything wired as aforementioned. however, now all my cameras are not showing in BI. I think i'm missing a step. Now that this switch is plugged directly into the new NIC, who or what acts as a DHCP to assign IPs to the cameras?

thanks in advance!

Last edited: