Is my NVR done ?

Oct 6, 2020
Europe
Hello,

I have a Dahua NVR NVR5208-8P-4KS2E NVR and has been working flawless until a week ago, black screen and not reachable via internet.
Before I could check the camera's thru the DMSS app and worked without hiccup until now..

Nothing happened to the nor, nobody touched it or did something to it, it just turned black, no startup screen when taking the power off and the back on, just black...

I checked and there is power coming to the nvr but no light for status or hdd lights up, there is a red light burning on the motherboard, I tried resetting via powering down and the pressing the reset button for 30seconds while powering on but nothing happens.

The fans run but that is it, I tried via internet but the nvr is not online...

Is it dead or is there something else I can try ?

Thanks,
Stefaan

Reactions: mat200
Hello,

I have a Dahua NVR NVR5208-8P-4KS2E NVR and has been working flawless until a week ago, black screen and not reachable via internet.
Before I could check the camera's thru the DMSS app and worked without hiccup until now..

Nothing happened to the nor, nobody touched it or did something to it, it just turned black, no startup screen when taking the power off and the back on, just black...

I checked and there is power coming to the nvr but no light for status or hdd lights up, there is a red light burning on the motherboard, I tried resetting via powering down and the pressing the reset button for 30seconds while powering on but nothing happens.

The fans run but that is it, I tried via internet but the nvr is not online...

Is it dead or is there something else I can try ?

Thanks,
Stefaan

Hi @Stingraymax,

I am not a pro with trouble shooting NVRs, done many PCs in the past, so using that experience to help out now ..

OSD - On Screen Display ..

No startup at all ?

No ping on LAN

Power light appears on ..

I'd drop the vendor a line and see if you can get a confirmation, this does seem to be a dead motherboard or perhaps some power to the motherboard as you can not even get a startup ..

In theory can take a volt meter and check if power supply giving the right power out

Unusual unless you took a lightning hit. I have a number running 8 years now

Are you connecting directly to the NVR with hdmi out to a monitor and a mouse?
Possible an IP change when a router rebooted ?

Unusual unless you took a lightning hit. I have a number running 8 years now

Are you connecting directly to the NVR with hdmi out to a monitor and a mouse?
Possible an IP change when a router rebooted ?

Hello,

Yes I'm connected straight to the NVR via hdmi and mouse, and nothing comes on the screen. I checked the cable and monitor and that is not the problem.

Ik zou de monitorinstelling lager zetten in de resolutie bv 1280x 800

groet Hans

....I tried via internet but the nvr is not online...
By "internet" do you mean you attempted to access the NVR's embedded webGUI by entering it's LAN IP in a browser on a PC connected to the same LAN as the NVR?

Reactions: JDreaming
By "internet" do you mean you attempted to access the NVR's embedded webGUI by entering it's LAN IP in a browser on a PC connected to the same LAN as the NVR?

I tried it thru the dahua software for desktop, I can see the ip adres for the nvr but it says offline....

Can I ask what you did to test the power was good with your power supply.. There is some things that can happen when it comes to some of these recorders. Now I am not sure if your Power supply is Brick type or Internal? I mean I have some POE NVR that have Brick power supplies and a few others that have mini computer type power supplies in the NVRs case and just plug a PC type cable into it.. If it is a Brick type, They can go bad and still provide enough to run your fan..

So while I know you said you tested the Power supply there can be some issues with that at times because of the way the Power supply might be damaged.. So if you take a Multi Meter and test at the end where it would connect to the NVR it might have the correct voltage when you test. Yet when you plug in the power to the NVR now you are giving it a load. If the Power supply is bad because of lets say a Cap that stores the Voltage and helps provide the NVR the Inrush current it needs to 1, Spin up your HDDs and turn on all the others parts.. If that reserve is not there the voltage will be pulled down. Most times for me anyway it would be that NVR would power up but no HDD and cameras won't power up. I have had a couple that went all down to just a CPU fan and case fan spin and nothing else would power up..

I know this is an older post, If found the issue great, If not and still have it, I would double check the system even could try removing the HDD power cable and see if doing so would be enough to get the NVR to power on.. The HDD can cause the system to tank enough to not power the NVR.. One of my oldest NVRs a 8ch 4 port from years ago has 2 plug in brick power supplies one for system 12v and second just to power the POE ports.. If not using POE ports didn't even need to plug in that supply and NVR would work just as a normal NVR without Ports would..

Can I ask what you did to test the power was good with your power supply.. There is some things that can happen when it comes to some of these recorders. Now I am not sure if your Power supply is Brick type or Internal? I mean I have some POE NVR that have Brick power supplies and a few others that have mini computer type power supplies in the NVRs case and just plug a PC type cable into it.. If it is a Brick type, They can go bad and still provide enough to run your fan..

So while I know you said you tested the Power supply there can be some issues with that at times because of the way the Power supply might be damaged.. So if you take a Multi Meter and test at the end where it would connect to the NVR it might have the correct voltage when you test. Yet when you plug in the power to the NVR now you are giving it a load. If the Power supply is bad because of lets say a Cap that stores the Voltage and helps provide the NVR the Inrush current it needs to 1, Spin up your HDDs and turn on all the others parts.. If that reserve is not there the voltage will be pulled down. Most times for me anyway it would be that NVR would power up but no HDD and cameras won't power up. I have had a couple that went all down to just a CPU fan and case fan spin and nothing else would power up..

I know this is an older post, If found the issue great, If not and still have it, I would double check the system even could try removing the HDD power cable and see if doing so would be enough to get the NVR to power on.. The HDD can cause the system to tank enough to not power the NVR.. One of my oldest NVRs a 8ch 4 port from years ago has 2 plug in brick power supplies one for system 12v and second just to power the POE ports.. If not using POE ports didn't even need to plug in that supply and NVR would work just as a normal NVR without Ports would..

Thanks for the info, I have a brick type op power supply. I removed the HDD and still nothing, the internal fan turns and a red light inside on the motherboard but nothing more happens....

I will test the voltage with a multimeter and see what comes out of that, I ordered a new one from Andy but 4 years seems quick for a nvr to die like this....

You have POE version of NVR - in my experience they fail much faster than non-POE versions.

usually the main board of the POE switch fails first - often from overvoltage, short circuit or lightning strike.

there are many components there that fail faster (capacitors, coils, resistors, voltage regulators).

but It can be also main mother board or power supply (internal or external one)..

if there is power (fans, red led) but device don't boot up (lack of LEDs action, no signal on HDMI port) - then usually NVR is simply toasted.

You have POE version of NVR - in my experience they fail much faster than non-POE versions.

usually the main board of the POE switch fails first - often from overvoltage, short circuit or lightning strike.

there are many components there that fail faster (capacitors, coils, resistors, voltage regulators).

but It can be also main mother board or power supply (internal or external one)..

if there is power (fans, red led) but device don't boot up (lack of LEDs action, no signal on HDMI port) - then usually NVR is simply toasted.

Yeah that is what I figured but 4 years :oops:

I have 10-12 Dahua NVRS working since 2017 just fine

I have loads of DVR/NVRs and I will admit that I have had to replace a Internal Power supply in my 5232E-16P and I had to get a new brick style supply for one of my 4116E-HS NVRs.. The rest are working as expected. Now while I did mention that taking the HDD might make it so the NVR could boot up not always the case..

To Trouble Shoot any POE NVR, Removing the HDD, and all cables from the POE switch, If there is enough life it might power the NVR. I know it is easier for someone like me that has a few different NVRs laying around to make a fast swap to check if it is a PS or not. Wasn't always that way.. Main thing is Brick style power supply is 48v and the NVR only needs 12v to run. At times if the power supply is able to provide the 12v and no other load, it might be able to boot. With the fan being 5v and the LED that is lit being even power by less, that is why it is still working because the power supply while it is dead has enough voltage to power that part of the NVR.. I think it is the Power Supply myself..

I would have to meter it out again, But if memory is correct I think that a POE and even non POE NVRs without a load to power the PCB of the NVR takes less then 200ma that is the inrush. With HDD installed inrush for a 8ch with 1 HDD was 1.4 amps and then did go even higher to 1.86 before it went down to 680ma to 932ma depending on what it is doing at the time. I will admit that I have some 12v recorders that have 2amp power supplies and the inrush is 2.34amps.. It works because the power supply being used is able to handle the short burst of current that the recorder needs to power up. Once it gets into run state it is well under the 2amp rating and most times I change out the power supplies with better ones just in case there is an issue with the HDD where it just wants a little more power then the recorders normally supply will provide. a 2amp recorder with a 3.3amp supply there is more then enough to get over the lag if there was one.. For POE NVRs however that isn't something that is easy to do. 48v power supplies are not as easy to come by..

Before spending a few hundred on a new NVR I would spend the 20 to 40 on a new power supply. Even the one that I replaced in my 5232E-16P that is like a mini PC power supply was less then 50 usd..

All NVRS should be run while connected to a good quality UPS. Or at the very least a good surge protector. But the UPS is a better bet.
Brief power fluctuations are hard on electronics, thus the UPS.

I have loads of DVR/NVRs and I will admit that I have had to replace a Internal Power supply in my 5232E-16P and I had to get a new brick style supply for one of my 4116E-HS NVRs.. The rest are working as expected. Now while I did mention that taking the HDD might make it so the NVR could boot up not always the case..

To Trouble Shoot any POE NVR, Removing the HDD, and all cables from the POE switch, If there is enough life it might power the NVR. I know it is easier for someone like me that has a few different NVRs laying around to make a fast swap to check if it is a PS or not. Wasn't always that way.. Main thing is Brick style power supply is 48v and the NVR only needs 12v to run. At times if the power supply is able to provide the 12v and no other load, it might be able to boot. With the fan being 5v and the LED that is lit being even power by less, that is why it is still working because the power supply while it is dead has enough voltage to power that part of the NVR.. I think it is the Power Supply myself..

I would have to meter it out again, But if memory is correct I think that a POE and even non POE NVRs without a load to power the PCB of the NVR takes less then 200ma that is the inrush. With HDD installed inrush for a 8ch with 1 HDD was 1.4 amps and then did go even higher to 1.86 before it went down to 680ma to 932ma depending on what it is doing at the time. I will admit that I have some 12v recorders that have 2amp power supplies and the inrush is 2.34amps.. It works because the power supply being used is able to handle the short burst of current that the recorder needs to power up. Once it gets into run state it is well under the 2amp rating and most times I change out the power supplies with better ones just in case there is an issue with the HDD where it just wants a little more power then the recorders normally supply will provide. a 2amp recorder with a 3.3amp supply there is more then enough to get over the lag if there was one.. For POE NVRs however that isn't something that is easy to do. 48v power supplies are not as easy to come by..

Before spending a few hundred on a new NVR I would spend the 20 to 40 on a new power supply. Even the one that I replaced in my 5232E-16P that is like a mini PC power supply was less then 50 usd..

Ok, I will try without the poe cables and see what happens...