Is P2P and Easy4IP "safe"?

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, but cable provider in Germany has also no public ip adresses. So anyway check your external ip if it is public or private. With an public ipv4 adress it should be no problem to get it working, other wise you need a ipv4 gate to your cam like providers feste-ip.net provides with there fipbox.
I don't know how it is in your country, but I think there will similar solutions exists.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With an asus router, they provide a free DDNS service. So you get an address in the form of xxxx.asuscom.com
You just set it up on your router, and you have an public ip address that is always reachable.
Is that what you are talking about? Otherwise not sure what you mean about public and private addresses.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, the NAT part may have been where I got screwed up. My internal address is something like 192.168.1.xxx, the standard internal ip address
The external address is the DDNS address, and I thought VPN was supposed to take care of making sure it got routed to the correct place, inside my network. I did this a while ago, so my memory is fuzzy, hopefully I'll be trying again soon.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are using cgnat, it's impossible to reach anything on you local network. No p2p, no vpn (incomming), no port forwarding. What's your external ip? the first 2 blocks are enough to identify.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
public ip starts with 23.241
I'm not using any nat program right now, just starting to get this setup.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you inspired me to try openvpn on my Asus RT-AC68U with BI. Set up seemed very staight forward including a link to instuctions for various devices. In my case that is android. Works very well. No problem with external ip address as it is not the cgnat thing. (Interesting Wiki read)

My internal network is 192.168.1.xxx but the default for the openvpn server shows 10.8.0.xxx. BI shows my android phone logged in as a number in this range. I was concerned that not being on the same subnet might prevent me from connecting to other devices on my lan, but doesn't seem to matter.

I have very little experience in network stuff but setup was very easy even for me. I did upgrade to the latest firmware on the Asus. So you may be on the right track getting a newer router.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just got openvpn working :).
I setup my new asus router, running asus software at latest version. Upgrading to merlin was going to be kind of a hassle, so I didn't do it, and may not if the asus software works. BTW, I setup my old tmobile router as a media bridge. It was easy to setup. That is on the other side of the house from the main router. The camera POE switch and BI computer connect to the media bridge.

To get openvpn working, I could connect, but was not able to see my home network.
I had to change some of the advanced settings from the default. Was still not working, was getting a "UDP send error: send: Operation not permitted" error message in the VPN log on my phone. Searched, and figured out I needed to change some of the power savings mode settings.
After changing the settings, it works fine.

It was really not that hard, I'll create some instructions and put in a blog soon, now that I have it working.

Randy