is Sentry legit?

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: They just closed my support request without any response :). hmm

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
Update 2: I tried to use the chat on the web site, but got no response. Finally, I called them and was able to reach a person. They are aware of the cert issue and actively working to fix it. They moved the site to a new hosting provider and the certificate was not configured correctly. They are also going to look into why my login is failing.

Hoping to get this resolved, but not feeling very confident right now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update 2: I tried to use the chat on the web site, but got no response. Finally, I called them and was able to reach a person. They are aware of the cert issue and actively working to fix it. They moved the site to a new hosting provider and the certificate was not configured correctly. They are also going to look into why my login is failing.

Hoping to get this resolved, but not feeling very confident right now.
Yes, why would you be confident in a company that answers its phone for you on the weekend. If you are not confident now why do you think anything will change in the future? Look for another solution.

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, why would you be confident in a company that answers its phone for you on the weekend. If you are not confident now why do you think anything will change in the future? Look for another solution.
Lol, you seem really defensive. Do you work for Sentry?

I have reached out to them several times over the past month (email, IM, phone), and only now getting a response. Also, neither issue is resolved. Just answering the phone, while better than ignoring all communications, is not sufficient.

I have just paid for my second month of service without being able to use it at all.

I am certainly considering another solution, but I am still giving them a chance for now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, you seem really defensive. Do you work for Sentry?

I have reached out to them several times over the past month (email, IM, phone), and only now getting a response. Also, neither issue is resolved. Just answering the phone, while better than ignoring all communications, is not sufficient.

I have just paid for my second month of service without being able to use it at all.

I am certainly considering another solution, but I am still giving them a chance for now.
If you bothered to read my posts about sentry you would see my criticism. I just don’t like whiny bitching. You keep bitching and bitching yet you are unwilling to try a free local service?

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
If you bothered to read my posts about sentry you would see my criticism. I just don’t like whiny bitching. You keep bitching and bitching yet you are unwilling to try a free local service?
That is an interesting interpretation. I am posting details here so that this might be useful information to others who might be hitting the same issues that I am.

I may or may not end up using a local service, but I am guessing that it is a non-trivial amount of effort to set up. The appeal of Sentry is its simple integration with BI, and most people would prefer that if it works correctly and securely.

I think it is fair to criticize a pay service if it is not delivering on its promises. Perhaps your definition of "whiny bitching" includes this kind of criticism, but I would argue that it is useful to other Sentry customers or potential customers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is an interesting interpretation. I am posting details here so that this might be useful information to others who might be hitting the same issues that I am.

I may or may not end up using a local service, but I am guessing that it is a non-trivial amount of effort to set up. The appeal of Sentry is its simple integration with BI, and most people would prefer that if it works correctly and securely.

I think it is fair to criticize a pay service if it is not delivering on its promises. Perhaps your definition of "whiny bitching" includes this kind of criticism, but I would argue that it is useful to other Sentry customers or potential customers.
You pretend to be some sort of security expert make false claims about the service itself not being secure you don’t understand how the service works get your going to try it anyways despite believing it’s not secure. Makes a lot of sense

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Accidents happen. Currently smarthomesentry.com is using the wrong certificate. It isn't expired, but it doesn't match the domain. It is an easy configuration error to make, almost like a rite of passage for everyone figuring out how to configure a web server for the first time. It is embarrassing, yes, but it isn't necessarily grounds to distrust a company. There are much worse things they could do wrong, like having SQL injection vulnerabilities or internal service ports open to the public that should be blocked by a firewall.

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
You pretend to be some sort of security expert make false claims about the service itself not being secure you don’t understand how the service works get your going to try it anyways despite believing it’s not secure. Makes a lot of sense
Everything you just said is wrong. Literally everything :).

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
Accidents happen. Currently smarthomesentry.com is using the wrong certificate. It isn't expired, but it doesn't match the domain. It is an easy configuration error to make, almost like a rite of passage for everyone figuring out how to configure a web server for the first time. It is embarrassing, yes, but it isn't necessarily grounds to distrust a company. There are much worse things they could do wrong, like having SQL injection vulnerabilities or internal service ports open to the public that should be blocked by a firewall.
Fair point.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Everything you just said is wrong. Literally everything :).
If you can prove that everything I said is wrong I will PayPal $1000 to you. If you understand how the service works please explain it to us and then tell us why it’s not secure.

glennst43

n3wb
Reaction score
If you can prove that everything I said is wrong I will PayPal $1000 to you. If you understand how the service works please explain it to us and then tell us why it’s not secure.
Nah, I don't play that game. Whatever I would present as proof, you would just dismiss.

I will just say, I am no security expert. I am just an average developer with experience running web services, and even I know how to get a proper cert and maybe validate it before pushing to the public.

They are probably a tiny team, so maybe I am being too harsh. Still, it looks unprofessional and made me question whether they were really legit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, I don't play that game. Whatever I would present as proof, you would just dismiss.

I will just say, I am no security expert. I am just an average developer with experience running web services, and even I know how to get a proper cert and maybe validate it before pushing to the public.

They are probably a tiny team, so maybe I am being too harsh. Still, it looks unprofessional and made me question whether they were really legit.
They are NOT legit. Move on. So you admit you dont know how the images are sent, you dont know they are not secure, you are simple guessing.

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I am not a developer. Nor do I work in anything related to IT. However, just the fact that Sentry and other AI solutions involve sending data off my local network was enough reason for me to dismiss them as an option. Especially since local solutions exist like AItool with Deepstack running on my local network. I see the appeal of having a solution built into blue iris but seriously, look into aitool and Deepstack. It took me a an evening to set it up. Again, this is coming from a complete noob that just followed basic instructions (and Googled a lot). My setup is working great, my images stay local, and it's free.

taisau

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman, you should seriously consider hiring an online communications intermediary.