Is the 5442 series still the best?

Reaction score
Another thing i like about the 5442 is the 2.8mm is wider than other cams i have that are 2.8mm fixed, is that from the larger sensor?

I have large open spaces and it makes a huge difference.
It could be. I think there's a few factors that influence the true FOV. The in-depth 5442T-ZE review I linked covers some of them. E.g. lens breathing depending on focal point, how the manufacturer measures the FOV.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It’s wider than my other 2.8 cameras for some reason but they have a smaller sensor.

so would a 2.8 with a 1 1/2 sensor be even wider?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
The sensor sizes are scaled to equivalent of old TV camera tubes, rounded off to a standard size, then the focal lengths appear to me to be normalized by Dahua for apples-to-apples comparisons of cameras with different sensor sizes. After all of this, I've found the only reliable FOV comparison is to use Dahua's FOV spec for each camera, from a source that gives correct specs. So far I've found Andy's specs to be pretty reliable.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s wider than my other 2.8 cameras for some reason but they have a smaller sensor.

so would a 2.8 with a 1 1/2 sensor be even wider?
Wide is good for over view. However, the wider you go the worse the recognition will become especially with increasing distance from the camera (more area = lower pixel density).

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How does the 5442 compare at night to the Color4K-X if you don't use the built in led? or maybe a flood light behind them which would look best at night?

I just added a LED motion flood light and my 5442 will change to color at night, i just wonder how the color 4k-x would compare.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isnt the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU same as the color4k-x and decent price difference ?

That is like asking if the accord or camry are the same.

Most have a preference. The 4K/X has 4 LED compared to this one with 2, so many can argue that the 4K/X is better.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Isnt the Hikvision DS-2CD2387G2-LU same as the color4k-x and decent price difference ?
I use a Hikvision NVR so the Hikvision camera works better for me.

I'm sure someone who has a Dahua NVR would be better suited with the Dahua camera.

Blue Iris users can use either equally well?... but they seem to lean toward the Dahua.

Sgtsavage

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a old thread but is the detection etc the same between the bullet and turret versions of the 4k-x ?
@wittaj are you running these cameras still?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a old thread but is the detection etc the same between the bullet and turret versions of the 4k-x ?
@wittaj are you running these cameras still?
This is the 5442 series thread and yes I am still running them and the new S3 versions of the 5442 are even better than the original.

Regarding the 4K/X and 4K/T cameras, yes the detection/etc. is the same regardless of the bullet or turret form factor. And yes I am still running both of these as well.

Sgtsavage

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the 5442 series thread and yes I am still running them and the new S3 versions of the 5442 are even better than the original.

Regarding the 4K/X and 4K/T cameras, yes the detection/etc. is the same regardless of the bullet or turret form factor. And yes I am still running both of these as well.
I'm looking for a camera for my farm property to look down a large driveway 200m. Would like detection alerts around 100m and being able to see people/cars at 40m . im rural with no street lights or constant house lighting , do you think either the 4k-x or the 5442 would suit this? i dont really want to go to a ptz style camera due to bulkiness

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a camera for my farm property to look down a large driveway 200m. Would like detection alerts around 100m and being able to see people/cars at 40m . im rural with no street lights or constant house lighting , do you think either the 4k-x or the 5442 would suit this? i dont really want to go to a ptz style camera due to bulkiness
You will want to avoid the 4K/X or any camera that claims full color - these cameras are not magic - if you don't have enough ambient light or do not want to run the built-in white LED, then these cameras are blind at night. And they don't see infrared so you cannot add it later.

So that leaves you with cameras that have infrared capabilities.

At those distances, you need more than a 2.8 or 3.6mm fixed lens camera.

To be honest, you really are looking at a PTZ if you want any sort of accuracy, even on detection.

Each camera has a DORI number (Detect, Observe, Recognize, Identify). These numbers are on best case scenarios - object is stationary and bright sunlight. Realistically you need to cut the numbers at least in half during the daytime and that number in half or more at night time.

200 meters in rural setting with no light will need additional infrared to stand half a chance even with a powerful PTZ.

As an example, the 5442-ZE claims detect at 130 meters and identify at 13 meters. I would say more like 60 meters and 5 meters in a no light situation.

You might get by with the 5442-Z4E but I wouldn't bank on it being able to IDENTIFY at those distances.

Also keep in mind one camera cannot be the be all/see all. A camera that sees well at 100 meters is a different camera than 40 meters and yet a different camera than 6 meters.

So the main question is do you want DETECT abilities or IDENTIFY. That answer dictates which camera and how many cameras.

Sgtsavage

n3wb
Reaction score
You will want to avoid the 4K/X or any camera that claims full color - these cameras are not magic - if you don't have enough ambient light or do not want to run the built-in white LED, then these cameras are blind at night. And they don't see infrared so you cannot add it later.

To be honest, you really are looking at a PTZ if you want any sort of accuracy, even on detection.

Each camera has a DORI number (Detect, Observe, Recognize, Identify). These numbers are on best case scenarios - object is stationary and bright sunlight. Realistically you need to cut the numbers at least in half during the daytime and that number in half or more at night time.

200 meters in rural setting with no light will need additional infrared to stand half a chance even with a powerful PTZ.

As an example, the 5442-ZE claims detect at 130 meters and identify at 13 meters. I would say more like 60 meters and 5 meters in a no light situation.

You might get by with the 5442-Z4E but I wouldn't bank on it being able to IDENTIFY at those distances.

Also keep in mind one camera cannot be the be all/see all. A camera that sees well at 100 meters is a different camera than 40 meters and yet a different camera than 6 meters.

So the main question is do you want DETECT abilities or IDENTIFY. That answer dictates which camera and how many cameras.
i guess more detect for now, it would be good if a could identify when the object came close to the camera. in the future i would add another on my shed to identify as they came closer to the house. i attached a quick mud map of property.
This is a store i can buy from otherwise would have to import from empiretech. Bullet Security Cameras

Attachments

TheOtherMike

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
FWIW This image is a cropped screen shot from a 5442-Z4E-S3.
Zoom is only at 300 (20-25%)
The privacy fence is about 360' away. The wheel barrow is about 300' away.
The fence is under a wooded area of spruce, pine, and oak. I have the lower branches trimmed. It's very dark back there . The only light back there is from the camera's IR.

On edit: It's very easy to spot my dogs back there. Especially their eyes (or any critter's) when the IR reflects.

Hope this helps.

.1707500844739.png

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Agree with @wittaj , at 300-600ft in darkness I would go with a beefy SD8 or SD6 series PTZ- 4MP with 1/1.8" sensor