Is the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE getting long in the teeth?

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I may have misread this but I saw on one of the thread someone mentioned that the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras are getting a little bit old. Is this true? Or did I misread? If it is true would you hold out before building a new system or be happy with the existing cameras? I’m not in a rush to setup my system.

Thanks
Sam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

I may have misread this but I saw on one of the thread someone mentioned that the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras are getting a little bit old. Is this true? Or did I misread? If it is true would you hold out before building a new system or be happy with the existing cameras? I’m not in a rush to setup my system.

Thanks
Sam
old is a relative term. They have been out for a couple of years. There are new low light 1/1.8" sensor 4mp cameras from dahua, see threads.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
IMHO (Just a hobbyist not a Pro) the 5231 series are still great go-to solid cameras.

Sure technology keeps racing ahead and the new Pro AI 4MP Starlight+ with the bigger sensor seem to be giving them a run for the money. Once they sort out some firmware issues I would go that route for a new install over the next 12 months. That said there are plenty of spots where the 5231 would still be just fine mixed in.

It wasnt that long ago that 1/3 sensors were the King o the hill.

"Old" in this technology seems to be about 2-3 years now, as fast as they have been pumping out the new tech.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
old is a relative term. They have been out for a couple of years. There are new low light 1/1.8" sensor 4mp cameras from dahua, see threads.
I saw the new 4mp threads but I was under the impression people still didn’t like them as much as these.

Bluediamond

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@MonitorMyHome I am in the same boat I literally just bought the x2 5231R-ZE's and love them, now I need two more cameras but am going to hold off till the newer ones get the Firmware support it currently needs.

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m going to try to get one 5231R-ZE for now to test out where the cameras are going etc. hopefully by the time I’m done with that exercise the new cameras and firmware come out.