Is the NVR5464-16P going to be too complex for my home use

Jolyon39

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am about to buy an NVR5216-16P from Andy but then this powerful unit came up on our equivalent of eBay here in New Zealand. It is brand new in its sealed box.

My actual situation is that I am at around 8 cameras (5442’s and 2431’s) but it is 5 acres with a home plus sheds/stables so camera numbers will continue to expand.

Sometimes you can buy into something that is just too complex because it is a professional unit where they expect trained users only and only they, to be honest, can fully understand it. Its another $200, of our South Pacific Peso, over what the 5216 will be. Its 4HDD capable, two monitors, huge bandwidth and so many pro functions.

Should I avoid it or is it going to be easy and future proof for a decade?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure of the exact model, assume the “Pro” series which I love but has recently been designated EOL, but generally speaking it’s just capable of more HDs than the 5216, not really any more complex.

Looks like both are 320 Mbps bandwidth …. Same AI capabilities, most rely on the camera to have the capability.

The newer replacement seems to be the “EI” WizSense series which does more AI on the recorder and increases bandwidth to 384 Mbps

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I run a 5216 and have 5 acres, and I wish I had more channels. You start out having a sense of how many cameras you want, then realize their usefulness in other places. Like the saying that everything looks like a nail to a hammer. Two example come to mind: One was one of the hens breaking eggs in the chicken coop. I added a camera to see which hen it was, and it turned out to be a stellar's jay walking in and nuking all of the eggs. Another was when seedlings were getting eaten in the greenhouse. We assumed insects, the camera revealed it was a mouse, quickly taken care of with a mousetrap.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as future proof, I don’t think your going to find much if anything that won’t be woefully obsolete or approaching that in 10 years time. Equipment I spent a good deal of money on in 2015-2016 is all but useless compared to stuff we use now.