Is the Z12E S2 still king of budget LPC Cameras? What is a step up?

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Hi everyone. Just wondering if the Z12E S2 is still the king of budget LPC Licence Plate Cameras? If you had a little larger budget... what would be a step up etc.

I plan on using a Dahua DVR. Not BlueIris etc. If that makes a difference.

Thank you, Steve

Link:

EmpireTech Z12E S2

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is.

Just keep in mind it doesn't actually read the plates - you set it up so that you can manually read the plates.

If you want the NVR and camera to actually read and log the plates, then you need to find an NVR and camera with ANPR capabilities.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it is.

Just keep in mind it doesn't actually read the plates - you set it up so that you can manually read the plates.

If you want the NVR and camera to actually read and log the plates, then you need to find an NVR and camera with ANPR capabilities.
Thank you as always

Speaking of NVR with ANPR I was planing on using a standard DAHUA that Andy reccomended. However Dahuas app and NVR seems somewhat limited and dated with the UI/UIX design.

Is there a 3rd party software that has AI and will store plate captures so I can use the lesser expensive Z12E camera?
I read once someone reccomeneded digital-watchdog? not sure what that is software/NVR etc.

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can send the video to a 3rd party like Plate Recognizer, OpenALPR, or use BI with the ALPR add-on.

Digital Watchdog is a VMS system like a Blue Iris, but bring your checkbook lol.

Having the camera behind the NVR presents a challenge using a 3rd party.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It would work if he puts the camera on an external switch that the NVR is also plugged into no?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would work if he puts the camera on an external switch that the NVR is also plugged into no?
Yes it would because then it is external and accessible, but that also presents security and vulnerability challenges.

But with a 3rd party option, it may also require a computer on 24/7 to process the video.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Im considering my options with having dedicated computer for NVR or standalone DAHUA one.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Im considering my options with having dedicated computer for NVR or standalone DAHUA one.
I know this may not he the right place but does Hikvision have better UI/UIX from your knowledge? Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this may not he the right place but does Hikvision have better UI/UIX from your knowledge? Thank you
Many will say it does not. I have some Hikvision cams and prefer the Dahua userface.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If camera can be less than 50 feet from target, the IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3 delivers cleaner plate images than the Z12-S2. Be sure it is the S3 version of the Z4. Its sensor and processing are stunning compared to that of the Z12-S2. I have both here and there is a considerable difference. The problem of course, is the mounting distance. The Z12-S2 would be the only choice if required distance is farther.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
If camera can be less than 50 feet from target, the IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3 delivers cleaner plate images than the Z12-S2. Be sure it is the S3 version of the Z4. Its sensor and processing are stunning compared to that of the Z12-S2. I have both here and there is a considerable difference. The problem of course, is the mounting distance. The Z12-S2 would be the only choice if required distance is farther.
Let me just say that I am using mine at longer than 50 feet from the license plate with no problems. In fact, closer to 100 feet on a couple of cameras. This is with the IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im putting on street level about 20 feet away from passing cars. Thanks for the TIP!!!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At 20 feet you can use a varifocal turret. But many underestimate the actual distance.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At 20 feet you can use a varifocal turret. But many underestimate the actual distance.

I walked it and sure enough my choke point is 25' thanks again.

So going with IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3 on a budget instead of Z12E S2 ? Sound good? Many thanks