Is there a decent IP cam that will still work with most browsers out there?

Glenstr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forum

I used to have a couple of old d-link ip cams, I forget the model but they were kind of large pancake / burger patty shaped things, blue in colour with no pan or tilt capability. Also had a trendnet with pan & tilt for awhile before it cratered. This was about 5+ years ago or so.

Anyway, they all worked pretty good, I would port forward them thru my router and could log in from pretty well anywhere and view the live picture. The dlinks had power supply issues but worked pretty good until they just stopped working. The trendnet was good, albeit being manual focus, then it stopped working after a few years.

Awhile ago I picked up a Dlink 5010L model on sale. Used it for awhile then put it away when I had to move it. I decided to bring it out again and point it out a window out looking down my driveway with thievery becoming more commonplace lately. Trouble is, I can't get any browser to display the video by just going to the cameras ip address, none of them like the java app that it uses, even with the latest update. I fiddled with the java settings like some recommended, but only browser it would work in was an older IE on my old windows 7 PC - nothing at all on my Windows 10 machine.

I can see the video using mydlink app on my phone and mydlink web page & plugin in chrome browser, but it seems flakey as all get out, sometimes it connects, just as often it doesn't. The controls are terrible compared to the old trendnet, and the web page or app will often freeze in mid whatever-I'm-trying-to-do. And something that's somewhat a mystery, sometimes the browser video has the camera pointing about 20 degrees to the left of what the phone app video shows, and both are live because I can see snow falling - WTH??

Do the newer cameras still use java to serve video? I see this as the main issue with my older one. I'd just like to be able to set a camera up, wireless, be able to port forward it through my router and log in from anywhere and see what the camera sees. I'd sooner not have to depend on an app or web portal if I don't have to (although the app is handy for phone)

Ideally I'd like a several camera setup where I can set up a page to see them all at once, even if I have to create the page myself and serve it with apache via my router or pc. Is there a camera or camera's out there that will serve this purpose for me? Or should I just go pick up one of the security cam setups from Costco and set it up independent of my home LAN..

thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Glenstr,, Most cameras still require some sort of plugin..Some noted exceptions like Bosch, Axis and Samsung/hanwah are likely out of your price range..Eventually they well all have to go this route because of the lack of browser support for NPAPI ....
You dont want to port forward your cameras...its a huge security risk...use vpn and remote view via a mobile app...your dlink is flaky, because, well, its a dlink..