Is there a two-way audio support on Windows Phone 8 app - iVMS-4500?

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have got DS-2CD2420F-IW camera up and running. It is streaming nicely on iVMS-4500 app on Windows Phone 8 but as far as I can see, apart from 'speaker' icon, there is no microphone icon, for me to speak?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you a select video and audio in the camera settings?

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
As far as i can see the Wp version of IVMS is a few versions back from the other Mobile versions for other devices and Hik have said they no longer support the WP version as it stands, it might be they create a universal app for windows platforms but somehow i doubt it, if you have so far succeeded in getting an image i congratulate you, if you are getting sound at the phone, even bigger congrats but getting sound back the other way ... doubtful at best, on mine i do not have that option although my cam does not have that ability to start with

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, although I left 'video' only in the camera setting, mic input was working fine via web browser and my wife heard the sound coming from the camera. So it seems that 'video and audio' option is for streaming only, not two-way - with audio included, you only get the sound from the video.

However, just for sake of it, I enabled audio and video on both sub and main stream, it didn't make a difference at all and there is still no -'mic' icon on IVMS so it must be on software side of thing.

Because of this and like you have said about WP version, I decided to try it out on Android tablet (Nexus 7 with Lollipop version 5-5.1) - The Play store said that iVMS-4500 is incompatible, yet Lollipop has the one of the highest share in Android OS, if not the highest.

I guess that if I don't find any app that supports audio two-way then this camera will have to be returned. It is getting a bit ridiculous at this point, I mean I could have set up my old & disused netbook and install Skype on it and ticked box that says 'auto receive call' and then I would be able to use my voice while I am away? The only one issue is that inbuilt webcam does not have IR support! :)

Is there an IP camera that really 'does what it says on the tin' with audio two-way support out there in the market?

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
Just tried that now and it found camera on the network & applied its setting automatically. Streaming doesn't work. I noticed it choose settings based on DS-2CD2112F-I as it does not have DS-2CD2420F-IW on its list.

Tried ONVIF, still doesn't work.

So I have tried various settings to receive the video stream but couldn't get it. I will have look at it when I have more time later but I have had more success getting video streamed to alternative Windows phone app(s), I couldn't remember which one specifically as I had spent too much time yesterday, trying out each app to find one with mic input support... :numbness:

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
What I should have said, that the settings I have got it working on other apps, I have applied it to Tinycam, it should work but it just doesn't. Even Tinycam does not have this camera on their support list but I will double-check the settings later.

For your information, I have iVMS-4500 working fine on both local and WAN network.

But at the end of the day, it just doesn't make sense that Hikvision could not bother updating their Android app to work with the newer Andriod OS. I guess their software support says it all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision 2432... tinycam works 100 percent... port 8000 is only for ivms use proper Port settings.. also make sure you are using the correct version of ivms ..

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, just back home and checked it again, the video just came up itself! So the settings were correct then. Microphone input works great.

It could be due to that Nexus 7 tablet is so old and very slow, especially with Lollipop OS...! Anyway it means that I now know that there is support for this camera on Android, if we plan to get a new phone.

But it would be great if any of you could recommend any Windows 8 app that has microphone input but from what I have tried so far, the IP camera apps on Windows 8 phone are pretty poor. iVMS is the only one stand out, just wished it has microphone input.

So far, I have tried windows apps - IP Centcom, MicroView HD (exactly the same as iVMS!), SuperCam, DMSS, IPCam Monitor, IP CAM Controller...you could see that I have spent silly amount of time trying each one out in the search... :rolleyes:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont know, unfortunately there is very little choice for windows phone apps....

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
been there, downloaded all those apps, got the T-shirt, threw the T-shirt away... i am, for whatever reason a WP user, have been since the very first windows phone, i used to push like mad to try to get people to use it, now i dont bother, windows phone 10 tbh is uninspiring and way behind the curve, the hardware currently available for any windows phone is also now old hat

With all that in the mix it is no wonder the apps are just crap on wp, dont beat yourself up your O/s is probably better than anything else out there on a phone but it makes no difference, no one wants an O/s

barnettgs

n3wb
Reaction score
been there, downloaded all those apps, got the T-shirt, threw the T-shirt away... i am, for whatever reason a WP user, have been since the very first windows phone, i used to push like mad to try to get people to use it, now i dont bother, windows phone 10 tbh is uninspiring and way behind the curve, the hardware currently available for any windows phone is also now old hat

With all that in the mix it is no wonder the apps are just crap on wp, dont beat yourself up your O/s is probably better than anything else out there on a phone but it makes no difference, no one wants an O/s
Thanks, you have just confirmed what I was suspecting, just that I don't use my phone that often to justify upgrading but I can agree with what you both have said about Windows apps so I will probably check out some cheap Android phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, you have just confirmed what I was suspecting, just that I don't use my phone that often to justify upgrading but I can agree with what you both have said about Windows apps so I will probably check out some cheap Android phones.
If and when you do, look at the nexus/pixel line, those are have the longest support and quick updates...