Is there a way to connect an android directly to a wifi camera?

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution that would enable my android device to view a wifi camera without any router, internet, or cell phone service.

There are apps out there called "wifi direct" where two wifi devices can connect directly to each other but I'm not sure how that works. Do both devices need to be capable of it or just one device to act as the server/host?

My Androit Tablet has the wifi direct feature built into it... but does the camera require this as well?

thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most likely both devices, the wi-fi cam and the tablet, will need to have that ability to connect to each other in what used to be known as "ad hoc" mode.

You can have the 2 (cam & tablet) communicate with each other in the more typical "infrastructure" mode using a wireless router, even with no Internet, no cellular service: turn the wireless router into a wireless access point by turning off DHCP and giving it a static IP, and give the camera and the tablet also unique static IP's in the same subnet as the access point. Set the wireless camera to connect to the wireless access point's SSID, log onto the AP's SSID with the tablet then bring up the IP of the wireless camera either in a browser or a cam viewing app on the tablet.

I've done this in several instances and have found TP-LINK's tiny TL-WR802N pocket router to fit the bill.

TL-WR802N.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A camera could connect to a phone in hotspot mode, although getting the camera configured to do that will most likely require a wired connection first.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most likely both devices, the wi-fi cam and the tablet, will need to have that ability to connect to each other in what used to be known as "ad hoc" mode.

You can have the 2 (cam & tablet) communicate with each other in the more typical "infrastructure" mode using a wireless router, even with no Internet, no cellular service: turn the wireless router into a wireless access point by turning off DHCP and giving it a static IP, and give the camera and the tablet also unique static IP's in the same subnet as the access point. Set the wireless camera to connect to the wireless access point's SSID, log onto the AP's SSID with the tablet then bring up the IP of the wireless camera either in a browser or a cam viewing app on the tablet.

I've done this in several instances and have found TP-LINK's tiny TL-WR802N pocket router to fit the bill.

View attachment 55008
No other devices allowed but the tablet and the camera...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.