Is there a way to use the main stream when viewing all cameras?

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just updated to the latest BI and it quite different with all the frames and groups etc.
I'm also now using sub streams to give my CPU a much-needed break which it has.
But now when viewing all cameras it looks like I'm using the sub stream instead of the mainstream and the quality is pretty terrible. Is there a way to use the main high-resolution stream when viewing all cameras?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure, just shut off sub streams and use main streams only. Of course the CPU will get hammered.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, the only way to do that would be to unconfigure the substream. You should check your sub stream settings in the cameras' web interfaces. They might be set to a lower resolution or bit rate/quality than is ideal for the way you want to view them.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of substream rates, I usually set it at 1792b/ps. Not full resolution by any stretch but reasonably good resolution when they're all, 21 cameras, displayed. The objective is to see if something is happening that needs a closer look, then switch to that camera, or group, and get better resolution.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just updated to the latest BI and it quite different with all the frames and groups etc.
I'm also now using sub streams to give my CPU a much-needed break which it has.
But now when viewing all cameras it looks like I'm using the sub stream instead of the mainstream and the quality is pretty terrible. Is there a way to use the main high-resolution stream when viewing all cameras?
many cameras have a third stream that can be set to 720p or 1080p. Try using that as your substream. Of course this is only useful if the cameras native res is higher.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys, these are HIKvision cameras and I only see two streams, but that would have been nice.. The max res on the sub stream is 640 x 320
I have about 14 cameras, half of them are 8 megapixel and the other half are 4 megapixel. I'm running an Intel i7-10500 CPU and without sub streams it sitting at 90+ percent. I may just have to pick some cameras using sub streams and some not to find the right balance to keep the CPU usage down.
On a separate note does anybody have any experience with Amcrest or Reolink Cameras to know if there any good and if they might have a third stream in them? (They're certainly cheap enough on Amazon)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Give it a few days to get used to it. 14 cameras at substream should be fine on any tablet, monitor or mobile unless you are projecting it on a 70" or larger screen.

Can you up the bitrate on the substream?

Amcrest is Dahua OEM and would be a good fit. But they are not on the proper MP/sensor ratio and will not work as well at night.

Stay away from Reolink - they do not work well with Blue Iris.

JT Blue Iris

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot to mention I did up the bit rate on the sub stream to 2048, (I have the mainstream set at 6144)
I'm spreading these 14 cameras across 2 30 inch monitors so each camera window is pretty decent size.
So is HIK considered to be one of the best choices or is there another favorite out there for BI?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
On a separate note does anybody have any experience with Amcrest or Reolink Cameras to know if there any good and if they might have a third stream in them? (They're certainly cheap enough on Amazon)
The camera specs usually say which sub streams are available. Almost all of them have at least "D1" resolution, which is around 704x480 (exact resolution can vary by region for reasons that stopped mattering 10-20 years ago).

This resolution is sufficient enough that on my 4K TV showing 4 rows of cameras, it is hard to tell which cams have sub streams enabled next to the ones that are main stream only. If you have fewer cams to show on a 4K TV, then a 1280x720 substream may be beneficial. But those are usually not found on the cheapest cameras due to needing a better encoder chip. 720p is also about 3x more expensive to consume than a typical D1, so it negates some of the benefit of using the sub stream.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, these are HIKvision cameras and I only see two streams, but that would have been nice.. The max res on the sub stream is 640 x 320
I have about 14 cameras, half of them are 8 megapixel and the other half are 4 megapixel. I'm running an Intel i7-10500 CPU and without sub streams it sitting at 90+ percent. I may just have to pick some cameras using sub streams and some not to find the right balance to keep the CPU usage down.
You have to enable it on cameras that support it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you just add more cameras LOL,

Personally, I would rather keep the CPU lower. I can always mainscreen if I need to.

I figure if D1 is good enough for OpenALPR to read plates, it is good enough for my eyes looking at multi-cams at once on the screen LOL.