Is there an easy way to dump all the Blue Iris camera(s) settings to a file for easy review?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now that I'm cloning cams and "linking" other cams motion detecting to other cams, I was poking around to see if there's a quick way to list all the settings for each cam to quickly check for any wasted resources (ie - not turning off hardware accelerated decoding on a clone...). Right now I go through each cam's settings individually but can get time consuming with 20+ cams, not to mention easy to get confused when interrupted or making many changes. Thanks.

edit: I tried reading the exported Reg file in notepad but wasn't a readable format

Last edited:

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can run regedit and export the reg entry for each camera to a separate file and then compare those. I've done that before when troubleshooting why a camera didn't work, but if I created a new one to the same cam, it would work. Comparing the reg entries let me see that somehow the old camera had inherited a funny default value that caused issues that a new setup didn't have.

Problem there is that when you export the registry, the values may not be alphabetical. To get around that I just sorted them alphabetically (using the TextFX plugin to Notepad++) before comparing. For comparing, I use Beyond Compare. Not free though, but you could use something like Winmerge.

The cameras will be in subkeys like:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\Front Door

There are a lot of subkeys, so before sorting/comparing, you probably want to snip out the other subkeys and focus just on the main one, or whatever.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been slowly (oh so slowly) building an app that would do this. The main function is to give advice on how to improve your confguration. A secondary function is to export a human-readable summary of the configuration that could be shared on a forum.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been slowly (oh so slowly) building an app that would do this. The main function is to give advice on how to improve your confguration. A secondary function is to export a human-readable summary of the configuration that could be shared on a forum.
You are always thinking! I like it!! So you'll have the dully functional version released in a few days right?! Haha!

I'd like a table view like the page in BI that shows all the camera bitrates, just with various settings listed for comparison. That way I can quick glance and see if a camera is different/forgotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WSCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could always do a series of command line queries for each camera and grab the "interval" value if all you want to see is the bitrate.
Example: reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Cameras\Backyard" /v interval

Just replace that "Backyard" in my example with each camera's full name (not the short name).

The value returned is hex, so for example a bit rate of 303031 (33 fps) would be 0x49fb7. 20 FPS would be 500000 decimal, or 0x7a120 hex.

For what it's worth, I can tell that the stored "interval" value related to FPS only in the sense that it's 10,000,000 / FPS but I don't know why and haven't spent any brain cycles figuring out why. :) So, the larger that interval value, the lower the frame rate in FPS.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm visualizing something similar to the Camera tab with added columns for record mode (continuous, triggered, etc), record folder, video format info, basically info from the Record tab so I can quickly see a summary of all my settings for each camera and spot any inconsistencies. Probably what Mike is working on for the "Ability to render a configuration summary that can be copied into support forums." I'm up to 20 cameras now so going through them one-by-one was time consuming when I had issues after the upgrade to BI5.