Is there any way to identify 2.8mm vs 3.1mm Amcrest IP5M-T1179 using software? (e.g. Amcrest Surveillance Pro)

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have about 10 of the IP5M-T1179 cameras running. Two of them, that I bought on Amazon back in Jan 2021, are the 3.1mm versions. I wanted those for some zones where detail was more important than a wide FOV. I recently went to order some more of the 3.1mm model, but it looks like they have been discontinued.

Now I'm thinking about possibly swapping the current locations of the two 3.1mm cams to different locations but I have not been able to figure out any way to determine which ones are the 3.1mm models.

They are all about 10' off the ground and I'm an old guy, so I'm not going to go around camera-by-camera on a ladder. In any case, I always cut off the barcode tags when I install them, so there would be no external way to tell.

Anyone have any ideas?

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Trigonometry. Measure a set distance out from the cameras, and then measure the field (width) of view at that distance. The wider ones are the 3.1. Doesn't matter if it is 10' or 50' from each camera, as long as it is the same for all of them.

Edit: May not be much difference, if any, between the 2.8 and 3.1 mm.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cool idea. I like it.
It remains to be seen whether I will invest that much effort... ;)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have about 10 of the IP5M-T1179 cameras running. Two of them, that I bought on Amazon back in Jan 2021, are the 3.1mm versions. I wanted those for some zones where detail was more important than a wide FOV. I recently went to order some more of the 3.1mm model, but it looks like they have been discontinued.

Now I'm thinking about possibly swapping the current locations of the two 3.1mm cams to different locations but I have not been able to figure out any way to determine which ones are the 3.1mm models.

They are all about 10' off the ground and I'm an old guy, so I'm not going to go around camera-by-camera on a ladder. In any case, I always cut off the barcode tags when I install them, so there would be no external way to tell.

Anyone have any ideas?
hi @ptzguy

do you mean 2.8mm vs 3.6mm?

Reaction score
When I first setup a camera, I keep a excel spreadsheet (well, Google Sheets anyways) of all info: static IP address, MAC address, FOV, geographical location. I should slap in current firmware but too lazy. When you have 3 or 4 cameras maybe this is not needed. But 25? Yep :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep a spreadsheet like Holbs does by IP address, assigned at burn-in, with make, model, lens, firmware, view designation, resolution, frame rate, bit rate (both main and sub stream for all three), switch port and hardware acceleration in use. I think I'll add the serial number as well. Makes it very easy to know what's where and how it's configured. If I ever find the time I may add screen caps of all the settings as well. That could save aggravation when fooling with settings.

ptzguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I first setup a camera, I keep a excel spreadsheet (well, Google Sheets anyways) of all info: static IP address, MAC address, FOV, geographical location. I should slap in current firmware but too lazy. When you have 3 or 4 cameras maybe this is not needed. But 25? Yep :)
I'm using Google Docs/Sheets now too. :) Excel got so complicated and cumbersome that I could no longer figure out how to do things. I had been using it since Version 1.0 back in the dark ages. Maybe if I was just starting and knew nothing it would be easier?

Most of the info is available in Amcrest Surveillance Pro (ASP) - but not the focal length. I use ASP only for utility functions. It's pretty quick if you need to go through a bunch of cameras to change DST settings or something like that. I use BI 5 for everything else, but BI can be cumbersome if you need to make changes on a bunch of cameras.
I'm at 22 cameras now, and have a few more IP5M-T1179s sitting on my bench that I'm hoping to install this weekend now that the freeze-up issue is fixed by the new firmware.