Is there "magic" to update camera to latest firmware?

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Usually new firmware means good stuff... However, being new to this world of IP cams, I know this can be a bad thing as sometimes they break more things than they fix. (at least my experience with foscam and Geeya)

That being said, I bought a used 2432 on ebay for 100 bucks from someone in OK and hopefully it works good and I won't have issues. I'm not sure what firmware it comes with (chinese or english, number etc) so I might want to update...

I'm curious what I have to do to make sure the camera works as properly intended with the best/latest firmware. Also how will I know if I need to install chinese or english version etc?

Camera will arrive on monday and it will be going to my living room to replace the crappy foscam that I have which I'm not happy with. I might replace this Geeya 801c in my room as well with possibly the new PTZ hikvision (or the 2032) and might be adding few more to my garage and outside by the door...

so anyways, my actual question is, how do I know what firmware to put and is it an easy process? (the foscam was very easy to update firmware)

Thanks!

I really hope it will deliver better performance over my foscam.

the 2432 will be connecting via wifi to a router which is about 30 feet away in my computer room. Unfortunately 2.4ghz is very busy around me so I might go PLA in the near future. the Geeya 801c showed 70% signal strength to it and streamed at over 20 fps with 720 from there. the foscam 8910W is lucky to get 8fps

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, Welcome to the forum. Good move staying away from the Geeya...newest firmware is not always the best option. With firmware, if it aint broke dont fix it, like bios updates on a pc. You camera is most likely a Chinese version and you will need to make some modifications to the firmware if you want it in english...First, wait till you get it so you can determine the current firmware version.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like chinese 5.1.6?

what's gonna take to bring this thing up to date on US standards?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If it works fine i would not update it...There were certain features removed in 5.20 like transverse line detection. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?759-Hikvision-Raptor-2-v5-2-0
If you really want 5.20 there are two ways of going about it.
1) User @CBX provides a service that will permenantly change your camera into a "us" camera. It will be able to take all future us updates. Contact him for info. He is very good and everyone I've seen is VERY satisfied with his service.
2)You can follow these instructions but you will need to redo this sort of procedure with any update.
Honestly, if its working fine, dont mess with it...

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed, the risk of causing a problem needs to be lower than whatever problem your trying to fix by updating..
if your not having a problem then upgrading is not a wise decision, there is no practical benefit and a the of risks of bricking your camera are huge in comparison.

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Everything seems to work fine except I can't figure out how to keep the IR off when the living room lights are on. there is enough light, but IR insists on turning on which sucks because at night time even with living room lights on, they're always on :(

if I disable it, the picture still looks good... put it on auto and it's B&W

razorseal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
oh and it's not 5.1.6 it seems... settings show it as V5.1.0 build 131202

I just lost connection to it after about 12 hours, which is why I'm posting here again :(