Is this a good cable for an outdoor covert camera installation?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Cable looks ok to me other than I think you found the most expensive one. Depends a lot on how much you're getting.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks OK, check Monoprice for a price comparison.

I did direct burial and Monoprice was the best I found for the money.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
How far are you running the cable outside? I have an outdoor camera on a post about 15' from the house, but even going that far makes me nervous about surges from nearby lightning strikes. Any farther and I would be converting to fiber at some point in the cable run before it hit any other network switches/devices. You don't have to run the fiber outside, but having some break in the copper wire will make it much safer for your overall network.

In fact, I am convincing myself that I should add a converter to my setup. I've seen the damage lightning can do through ethernet and it can be extensive. Something like this would be perfect. You just need a short piece of MMF with dual LC connectors on it (which I already have). $60 is cheap insurance to protect the rest of your network against lightning.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How far are you running the cable outside? I have an outdoor camera on a post about 15' from the house, but even going that far makes me nervous about surges from nearby lightning strikes. Any farther and I would be converting to fiber at some point in the cable run before it hit any other network switches/devices. You don't have to run the fiber outside, but having some break in the copper wire will make it much safer for your overall network.

In fact, I am convincing myself that I should add a converter to my setup. I've seen the damage lightning can do through ethernet and it can be extensive. Something like this would be perfect. You just need a short piece of MMF with dual LC connectors on it (which I already have). $60 is cheap insurance to protect the rest of your network against lightning.
I’ll have to do some reading up as I’m not well versed on fiber. My run is around 40’ (20’ inside; 20’ outside) through a PoE+ power injector, from a Zyxel PLA6456 powerline adapter.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

I have a hipped roof that essentially goes to a point. I am planning to mount a project box with 4 cameras for sky/overwatch. With them being mounted to the highest point on my house I am now concerned with lightning. I have purchased an inline lightning arrestor, but I don't really trust it. Would I be better served with putting a piece of fiber in place of the arrestor? I know I would then need to put a POE injector on the back side, but I would rather lose the downstream equipment to lightning than take a risk and lose everything again.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I have purchased an inline lightning arrestor, but I don't really trust it. Would I be better served with putting a piece of fiber in place of the arrestor? I know I would then need to put a POE injector on the back side, but I would rather lose the downstream equipment to lightning than take a risk and lose everything again.
I think that the lightning arrestor will work IF everything is installed correctly and grounded properly, etc. That's a lot of variables IMHO and why I personally am leaning towards a fiber connection to break up the potential surge. Of course these fiber converters are plugged into the electrical system, so you could be transferring some current to that wiring, but it is going to be grounded much better than any ethernet cable is going to be (at least in my house).

You bring up a good point about needing a POE injector on the camera side of the converter. I hadn't though far enough along in the process to consider that. I would have felt pretty foolish if I had bought the fiber converters and got to the installation process only to realize at that point that I needed a POE injector!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's a post about lightning jumping a fiber gap, with an obvious solution.
God I hate lightning....

Sometime in the past there was a similar situation, except that time the lightning went from the fiber converter, through its power brick and up the other converter's power brick, then into the other side of the fiber gap.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I think that the lightning arrestor will work IF everything is installed correctly and grounded properly, etc. That's a lot of variables IMHO and why I personally am leaning towards a fiber connection to break up the potential surge. Of course these fiber converters are plugged into the electrical system, so you could be transferring some current to that wiring, but it is going to be grounded much better than any ethernet cable is going to be (at least in my house).

You bring up a good point about needing a POE injector on the camera side of the converter. I hadn't though far enough along in the process to consider that. I would have felt pretty foolish if I had bought the fiber converters and got to the installation process only to realize at that point that I needed a POE injector!
This is the arrestor I was going to use. My plan was to run a copper wire from the attic directly to the grounding rod at the meter. For the small cost of the fiber bits, it may be another piece of cheap insurance.

Here's a post about lightning jumping a fiber gap, with an obvious solution.
God I hate lightning....

Sometime in the past there was a similar situation, except that time the lightning went from the fiber converter, through its power brick and up the other converter's power brick, then into the other side of the fiber gap.
I wonder if he would have had the same problem had he not stacked the boxes on top of each other, or is that the solution you were referring to?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the cable shield isn't grounded on both ends then it's completely useless and just adds unnecessary cost. Shielded cable has specific applications where it is used, and correctly installed.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if he would have had the same problem had he not stacked the boxes on top of each other, or is that the solution you were referring to?
That is what I was referring to. The unanswered question is would the fiber gap have saved equipment if the boxes weren't stacked?

Reaction score
If the cable shield isn't grounded on both ends then it's completely useless and just adds unnecessary cost. Shielded cable has specific applications where it is used, and correctly installed.
I could be wrong but from my understanding it’s only supposed to be grounded on one end. The surge suppressor I listed has a grounding terminal for a ground wire and can also be installed outdoors if need be.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score

They offer these with a 1m length for $55 or 30m length for $67. Which would be the better play? Would 3' of gap between the boxes be sufficient (knowing that they will likely both be plugged in within close proximity) or should I try to get them as far apart as possible? I am not opposed to running another receptacle across the attic if I need to for the second box to be at a distance.