Is this a good cable for an outdoor covert camera installation?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
They offer these with a 1m length for $55 or 30m length for $67. Which would be the better play? Would 3' of gap between the boxes be sufficient (knowing that they will likely both be plugged in within close proximity) or should I try to get them as far apart as possible? I am not opposed to running another receptacle across the attic if I need to for the second box to be at a distance.
A 3' fiber gap is plenty. When I've used fiber converters like that I would mount them right next to each other (not touching).

It stinks you have to run power into your jbox now though since you can't power the switch via PoE.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
A 3' fiber gap is plenty. When I've used fiber converters like that I would mount them right next to each other (not touching).

It stinks you have to run power into your jbox now though since you can't power the switch via PoE.
This is my plan:

Network Switch > Patch Panel > Ethernet > Fiber Box > Fiber > Fiber Box > Ethernet > POE Injector > Ethernet > Lightning Arrestor > Ethernet > POE Extender

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
This is my plan:

Network Switch > Patch Panel > Ethernet > Fiber Box > Fiber > Fiber Box > Ethernet > POE Injector > Ethernet > Lightning Arrestor > Ethernet > POE Extender
Do you really have a single run over 100 meters that an extender is required?

It would be a heck of a lot simpler from a design standpoint to just feed the four camera 360 overview with four independent cat5e runs. So, yeah, you’d have to home run each camera from a single PoE switch. The uplink on the poe switch would be one of the fiber converters. Doing it this way removes quite a few points of failure.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you really have a single run over 100 meters that an extender is required?

It would be a heck of a lot simpler from a design standpoint to just feed the four camera 360 overview with four independent cat5e runs. So, yeah, you’d have to home run each camera from a single PoE switch. The uplink on the poe switch would be one of the fiber converters. Doing it this way removes quite a few points of failure.
The extender is not for distance; it is a POE powered 1x4 extender requiring just one ethernet cable going into the junction box. I am wanting to minimize the number of penetrations into and possible leak points of the junction box.

Either solution still requires most of the same equipment. I will still need a switch/injector post fiber box and I will still want the lightning arrestor inline.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s not gonna leak if you caulk it. But I get your point.