Is this correct camera position?

SuhiJr

n3wb
Reaction score
I sketched my camera positons and orientation (green arrows) on ground plan:
tlocrt-png-1.png
I am concerned about left camera (3) under balcony. Is it actualy necessary because right camera under balcony (4) will cover entrance trough fence gate and also camera on the left corner (2) near main door entrance in house.

Second concern is about this camera that is near fence on neighbor side(5) because part of FOV will catch problematic neighbor yard. And wich camera choose to cover 20 meters?

Cameras (8, 9) on garage wall will cover driveway and part of backyard. Also two cameras (6, 7) will cover almost 100% of backyard/garden.

I will do this project in two stages. In first stage i will connect cameras 1, 2, 4 and 6 to NVR, and in second stage rest off cameras.

I am looking at least 2MP IP cameras around 70$, and some NVR that can record 9 IP cameras.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually like the setup a LOT. Shows a lot of knowledge.

One question: how high off the ground will the cams be? 3 and 4 are going to capture a lot of the same stuff, or the tops of heads if they are at my preferred mounting height of 14'+.

SuhiJr

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually like the setup a LOT. Shows a lot of knowledge.

One question: how high off the ground will the cams be? 3 and 4 are going to capture a lot of the same stuff, or the tops of heads if they are at my preferred mounting height of 14'+.
Thanks. :)

this two will be aproximatly at 2.4 meter off the ground because balcony has a concrete fence and I think it will cover much space in front of the house if i put them higher. Yes, they will capture a lot of the same stuff but i dont want to have dead spots in front of the house. Rest will bi on 3-3.5 meters from ground

Get familiar how to use this: Camera Calculator / Design Software keep PPF>100, tutorial upper left. This will help with determining lens focal lengths.

Cams mounted any higher than 8ft will have a very difficult time ID'ing faces, especially at night.

Best choice going is: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
Great software i will check on it. Thanks.

Great camera but is way over my budget. I am looking something around 70$

Do you have any suggestion for budget friendly NVR (under 150$) that can record 9 IP cameras? I don't need POE beacuse I will place UTP and power cable in wall.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a little difficult since we can't see your exact area... It looks like you could move #1 to the same area of #9 but have #1 face the fence/street area then eliminate #2 or move #2 down to the next corner thus eliminating the need for #3.

SuhiJr

n3wb
Reaction score
i will create pictures from 3D model of house

EDIT:
I think camera #2 is mandatory because only from that location I can cover entrance trough fence gate (for good face recognition).
Perhaps i can rotate cam #9 in other direction toward cam #1 and then eliminate cam #1. And I think for start i will do like that.

h1.PNG

h2.PNG

Last edited:

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, ok this makes it a little easier. I thought the squares in front of the doors were porch awnings in your 2D picture.

I actually think you should eliminate #9. #1 is already pointed in that direction and should get good coverage of the door and that side of the driveway.
As you said #3 & #4 seem redundant so if you are keeping #2 I would eliminate one of those OR eliminate #2 and rotate #3 toward the gate area.

Loony2ns linked you to a varifocal lens camera which is nice since you can adjust them appropriately for each mounting location. Since you are wanting cheaper you will have to use a fixed lens camera (don't get anything under 4mm). Either way don't purchase cheap products as you will pay even more in the future. Delay your installation and save up a little more if you have to.

If you want all 9 cameras you will need a 16 channel NVR. If you need 8 or less then an 8 channel will be fine but a 16 channel will give you room for expansion if you want to add more cameras in the future (either indoors or outdoors).

So if I were you I would get:
7x www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Dahua-Built-in-Mic-2mp-Starlight-IR-Eyeball-Network-Camera-NO-LGO-IPC-HDW4231EM-AS-free/1200032_32752082807.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.5bdadf47763D3h
1x www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2017-New-Channel-1U-4K-H-265-Pro-Network-Video-Recorder-NVR5216-4KS2-Free-shipping/1200032_32796947195.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.5bdadf47IppsZO (non-POE)
OR
1x www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Dahua-16-32CH-1U-16PoE-4K-H-265-Network-Video-Recorder-NVR5216-16P-4KS2-NVR5232-16P/1200032_32633401454.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.5bdadf47JBiy70 (POE)
This is from EMPIRETECANDY (Andy's store), a forum member on here. Many people from here purchase from him so you can message him about ordering if you want.

From what I gather you want to spend less than $800 though?

Last edited:

SuhiJr

n3wb
Reaction score
I will eliminate at least one camera (#1 or #9) and i will put cables for cam #3 but i will not connect camera at that location for now.
In the future i am planing few indoor camera so i think i will go for 16p NVR

Unfortunately roughly $800 is my budget for cams (7 or 8 cams) and NVR

SuhiJr

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I am having that in mind I already ordered 2TB WD Purple, cables. This 800$ is for cameras and NVR.

This camera recommendation is over my budget. So I still looking for decent camera around 80$. Maybe for start i will go with 6 cameras and in that case i can increase budget for one camera up to 100$ (max).

Any suggestion on one of this cameras:
1.Dahua IPC-HDW2320R-ZS VF- 104.5$
2.Dahua IPC-HDBW1320E FIX - 85.5$
3.Dahua IPC-HFW1320S FIX - 67$