Is this normal for night time?

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reolink finally admitted that this camera is faulty and so is one of the others that I got. Just the graininess. But in an email (there were many) I told them that all my Reolinks were very jerky and would freeze up then suddenly move on. They do this all the time but only once it is dark and the IR's are on. They replied that ALL cameras do this once it is dark because the FPS drops very low to make up for lack of light. (had to prove to them that it was not my pc or BI)

They have apologized for all the grain in the two cameras and are sending me 2 new ones to replace them, then I have to mail the two defective ones back so they can take a look at them. I do have to say that over all the customer support has been fast to answer.

Oh, that is from my Front Yard camera one of the Reolink RLC-410

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most cameras when set to auto, tend to drop the frame rate to a lower setting til they notice movement. BUT
The freezing is NOT normal

The grainy picture is also somewhat normal when there is not enough IR light at night. Your camera is mounted high, your getting a lot of picture the IR cannot reach. You'll notice the center of the frame looks decent but edges are really grainy.

It might just be the wide lens or my eyes, but focus doesn't look very good either.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't think freezing up for seconds at a time was normal. I know what low frame rate looks like, but that is not it. lol I can not tell if the focus is bad or if it is so grainy that you can't tell if it was out of focus or not. I run them at 1080p set at 15fps with the 5k bitrate. Now the daytime clips and live are outstanding. No grainy pictures or clips, no freezing up, motion is very smooth. I am very pleased with the daylight performance. Now if all bad guys would be considerate enough to do their naughty stuff during daylight hours I would not have a problem. :p