Is this PC a good one for seven 4MB cameras and Blue Iris?

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I want to future proof myself in case I upgrade to newer, higher resolution cameras, and I want to use any cool AI tech like Deepstack and not have processing power be an issue.

Many of these PCs have a 2TB limit on HDD, but can support multiple HDDs. Can I just buy a few 2TB HDDs and can BI be configured to use all three seamlessly?

It also has expansion ports so I should be able to add a second NIC.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is way too much, in computer, and in price.

An i5-8500 is more than enough and future proofs you to the point you would simply upgrade at that point.

With substreams, you don't need a screamer machine.

BI can handle sending cameras to several drives.

I have a 4th gen running over 30 cameras, 5 of which are 8MP, along with OpenALPR and Deepstack on a few of the cameras and it is under 20% and will sip along around 3% in the middle of the night. I let the camera AI be used for most of my motion triggers, but do use Deepstack for a few of them.

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. eBay has a deal for 15% extra on refurbished PCs, so it would be just about $550 out the door. I'm looking at cheaper options but I'd honestly be saving only like $100-$150 for something decent. This one just seems to be a great value for the money

Do nice graphics cards help with BI at all?

Last edited:

H. Swanson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for telling me about the Wiki...I hadn't seen it before. I was rummaging through posts which is what I typically do first before creating a post.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You only need a graphics card if you will be using CodeProject for lots of cameras.

But if your cameras have AI built in, then that might be sufficient for your needs and then a graphics card isn't needed.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I realize it is natural to want to supercharge your computer. However as everyone has suggested, there is no need to over build/purchase a BI machine. An i5 from 8th gen or newer is more than enough to run lots of cameras. If this computer is only going to be used for BI, then you don't need to get something supercharged. If this computer is going to be used for something other than BI, you need to stop and purchase a computer that will be dedicated for just BI use.

As noted, a graphics card is not needed for BI use unless you are going to use a lot of self-hosted AI (ie AI that is installed and run on a computer). Even then a lot of of the newer options are really just marginally better running on GPU vs CPU power. I certainly would not start out with a graphics card and only purchase one if my AI usage was so high that I felt like I needed it. If you decide to get a graphics card, you really need to do your homework to ensure it will work with whatever AI solution you are going to use. Not all cards work with all AI systems.

Basically I agree with wittaj - spend less than $200 (shipped) on a 8th or 9th gen i5 and spend the difference on cameras (or just save it).

Edit - I mean how can you beat something like this $121 (shipped) 8th gen i5 that came up in looney's search link? HP 800 EliteDesk SFF G4 (Intel Core i5-8500 @3.0GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, WIN10) | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.