ISC West 2014

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone here headed to Vegas next week for ISC West?

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I want to but I don't think I can get off work to go, do they do it once a year or twice a year?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In Vegas, just once a year, ISC East in typically in NYC in the fall, but not as a big a show. Can get free tickets to anyone that wants to go. ASIS, also a smaller show will be in Atlanta this year (Chicago last year), also in the fall. Nice thing about Vegas is hotels are crazy cheap, not so much in NYC.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive never been to NYC but I have no inclination to go there. Been to vegas multiple times and love it. I wouldn't mind going to Atlanta, are you going?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't make it out to Vegas but I can probably go to the one in NYC in November. @networkcameracritic do you plan on attending this year? What about you @vector18, you ever make it there?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Vegas is a 4hr drive for me and it's the largest in the U.S. so it makes sense. I went to ASIS in Chitown last year mostly to see my daughter and would not have gone otherwise, but was surprisingly a good show and no interest in Hotlanta. I actually attend a trade show in NYC about the same time for my job, so not sure I would want to come to NYC twice in one month, sort of an intense place best taken in moderation, LOL.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As long as my boss allows me, I'd love to go. I have never been to one yet.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not going this year, and have never been, but I do plan on going one of these days as this is my job and the info would be good to go and see.

Are the smaller ones drastically smaller? I also need to go to a security conference one of these days to see more physical security stuff.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smaller shows tend to just have large distributors, manufacturers and such, meaning that many startups, foreign companies like Chinese companies do not attend smaller shows. The reason is ROI. Small companies or a foreign companies, the cost of travel may not justify the lower attendance. So if you mostly work with the larger companies, it won't make a difference. They are also in smaller venues, so it seems just as crowded, but maybe 1/4 the people of ISC West.

I like to compare it to a auto show. When you go to a small town auto show, you see all the latest cars all the major companies offer. When you go to a premier car show like the Los Angeles or Detroit Auto Show, you see more manufacturers, more products, products about to be released, future concept cars, better looking booth babes, higher production values, just an overall a better experience. I live in a small county in So Cal of a smidge over 3m people and trust me, we don't rate any better than a town with 3,000 people, I have to make the trek to L.A. to see the good car show, LOL.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I love me some car shows too, and I moan and groan every year about none being in my area. My wife is sick of it I'm pretty sure.