Issue connecting IP Cameras to NVR from PoE switch

Reaction score
I currently have an outbuilding with 2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-1 cameras these are plugged into a TP Link TL-SG1008P 8 port PoE switch, I then have a single CAT 5 cable going back to my property. I have a Hikvision DS-708NI-E2/8P NVR.
My problem is that I an plug the single CAT 5 cable from my outbuilding into ether my router or an NVR port but can only see 1 of the cameras, ie NVR will only show 1 as active. How can I get both to be seen?
Originally the IP cameras had IP's set to 198.168.0.97 & .98 on my network. Will I have to run another CAT 5 to get the 2nd camera to work? or d I need to configure it differently?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My problem is that I an plug the single CAT 5 cable from my outbuilding into ether my router or an NVR port but can only see 1 of the cameras, ie NVR will only show 1 as active. How can I get both to be seen?
If the "NVR port" is a PoE port - it will only allow a single camera to be connected.
But both cameras should be visible if the cable from the PoE switch is plugged in to the router - but only if it's the NVR LAN port that is also connected to the router, ie not an NVR PoE port.
The NVR PoE ports are just for individual camera connections.

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had same problem with a 7716. Connect camera 1 directly to channel 1 and make it active. You can either go through the switch or direct. Unplug camera 1 from the cable or switch. Move the cable from channel 1 to channel 2. Connect camera 2. You can then make it active. Now plug camera 1 and 2 to the switch and cable can be plugged into either channel 1 or 2. You should now see camera 1 on channel 1 and camera 2 on channel 2.