Issue with DS-9632NI-I8, black screen during playback for multiple channels

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with the DS-9632NI-I8. When I play back archived footage on the machine and when clicking on 2 or more channels to playback, sometimes the machine would not show the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th channels. The screen would all be black, trying to get the footage for that particular time/date. This doesn't occur when I playback on 1 channel, just multiple channels at once. If it does happen, I would right click to exit out and try again. It would work sometimes and sometimes it would still be black, nothing will load.

The worst that I time the entire machine froze and I had to push the power button 5 seconds to turn off and press it again to power it on!

Also, I've noticed when playing back 1 channel, there is a small thumbnail that pops up at the bottom of the playback screen. It says "no resource" on all the thumbnails. It used to work but now it doesn't show anything but that error message.

I'm using WD Purple (Surveillance Grade) HDD drives, configured as independent disk (non raid) with this camera system and the firmware is v3.4.2. I just updated it to v3.4.3 today but I wanted to see if guys had experienced a similar issue like this?

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your watching through iVMS-4200?

How many cameras are connected to the nvr? Settings of recording?

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
your watching through iVMS-4200?

How many cameras are connected to the nvr? Settings of recording?
There are 31 cameras hooked up out of 32. I believe there are 7 x 2MP PTZs, 22 x 4MP turrets, and 2 x 6MP, fisheye cameras. Settings are as follows:

2MP PTZs:

Bitrate: 3MBit
FPS: Full Frame

4MP turrets:

Birate: 6Mbit
FPS: 20fps

6MP Fisheye:

Bitrate: 2Mbit
FPS: 15fps

All are set the variable with highest video quality. They are viewed via HDMI on a TV, not iVMS-4200 app on computer.

Are the settings a little too ambitious and the machine just can't handle the load while doing playback?

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the same NVR and similar setup. I do notice the system hang a bit while the hard drive thrashes when selecting playback. After the initial delay it is fine. I usually select one camera for playback initially and add more as needed. Occasionally it is glitchy if I select several cameras starting off.

The no resource is a "feature" with 4MP and greater cameras- too resource intensive to display the thumbnails.

I liked firmware 3.4.3 best. I have had issues with some of the 4MP dome and turret cameras not displaying the green event line during motion in playback. The later firmware versions made this happen with almost all the cameras (al except the 2335's).

cctvnerd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think when you update the NVR you also need to update the cameras too. I know that you need to activate on the newer firmware the feature that the motion line is displayed...

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have experimented with camera firmware 5.4.1 to current 5.4.5. No resolution of green event line problem with 4 MP cameras.

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
? . . I know that you need to activate on the newer firmware the feature that the motion line is displayed...
Is this something in camera config? I did a pretty thorough search for any settings that might fix this and didn't find any.