Issues with BI5 since upgrade from BI4

The Profit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have upgraded from BI4 to BI5 when it was released and have noticed that since that upgrade there have been several times where someone has entered a monitored area but there isn’t any video for it. I’ve gone through all of the likely suspects in the motion sensor config and the schedule config and can’t seem to find anything that would cause the problem. It seems to affect all of the cameras and not just one and because I get a lot of triggers on outdoor cams I can tell when the recordings stopped and when they started back up again. I don’t see a pattern so I’m a bit stuck as to what is causing it.

So....I shutdown BI5 and installed BI4, kept all of the same config files from BI5 so that I wouldn’t lose any of my settings. All of a sudden all of the issues have disappeared and I am getting recordings every time now.

Has anyone else noticed this?? I just happen to have an office area where people come in and out to leave behind items on a desk so it happens to be a good setting to test these issues as there is evidence that someone was in the room and I will either have or not have video.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I too have noticed this, created a thread and even emailed support but I heard nothing back.

For example I have zone crossing setup on my 2 front cams and they are grouped together so that if 1 triggers the other also records. My kids leave for work at the same time each morning and randomly either my daughter or youngest sons won’t be recorded leaving. My eldest son always seems to get recorded as he parks his car on the front drive but again for him sometimes it will show him leaving the house and getting in his car and then driving away, other times I’ll only see the driving away clip.

I’ve gone back to basics and supplemented zone crossing with simple motion and have will be monitoring the clips to see what gets recorded over the next week or so.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I too have noticed this, created a thread and even emailed support but I heard nothing back.

For example I have zone crossing setup on my 2 front cams and they are grouped together so that if 1 triggers the other also records. My kids leave for work at the same time each morning and randomly either my daughter or youngest sons won’t be recorded leaving. My eldest son always seems to get recorded as he parks his car on the front drive but again for him sometimes it will show him leaving the house and getting in his car and then driving away, other times I’ll only see the driving away clip.

I’ve gone back to basics and supplemented zone crossing with simple motion and have will be monitoring the clips to see what gets recorded over the next week or so.
Use the Run through Motion sensor Test, while reviewing clips so see what's happening. Be sure to start the clip at least 30 seconds prior to the expected motion event. You can tune while viewing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for this. I’ve gone through all of the steps and these issues don’t seem to be related.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As a test, delete one camera that is giving you this issue, add it back, set it back up, see if motion now acts as you expect.

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This may be a situation where an object like a your daughter's car may be located so it is always in 2 zones. For example, the frontend of her car is in zone A and the rear of her car in zone B. In this situation, it never crosses into the other zone because it is already in both. This would cause it to not trigger. This YouTube video from HomeTech video called "Blue Iris - Zone Crossing Part 2" explains this situation.