Issues with new Hikvision setup

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the cross post but I meant to post this here.

Just received a couple of Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I cam's and have installed one via POE and I am trying to setup the iVMS4200 software to enable recording of video. I am not having luck getting it to record automatically either on the computer HD or a Seagate NAS I have setup. Is there a tutorial out there anywhere that has condensed the setup procedure with these cams to record to a NAS? I seem to have successfully setup the software to alert when motion is detected and tried to point to the folder either directly on my computer or a folder on the NAS but nothing ends up recording. Is there another piece of software that is better for use than the Hikvisions that I can also connect to with an Iphone app? Thanks for any info, just getting started here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The hikvision software is fine..its probably a setting thats missing...if you want to look at an alternative blue iris is a great option, though it will require way more processing power than the hikvision as it does its own motion detection and cannot use the cameras motion detection. Blue iris is way more feature rich than the hikvision though...

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank, I actually just found a couple of threads on this forum that speak to the limitation in hard drive space required to record. I think I may just go the NVR route so I can get the system up and working. Is there a popular NVR that is suggested here or can one be made from an old computer? I have looked at the Hikvision NVR and they are a bit pricey. I do like that they have HDMI out which I assume means I can hook up to tv and observe cameras from NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using hikvision cameras, get a hikvision NVR...dont mix and match...If you only need 4ch, they are not bad
http://www.nellyssecurity.com/recorders/nvrs/4-channel/hikvision-ds-7104ni-sl-w-4-channel-mini-wifi-nvr.html
Yes you can view the NVR via hdmi on your tv or a dedicated monitor..
To use a computer you either need to use NVR software like ivms, blue iris, etc...
Ivms will run on an old pc, blue iris not so much..consider also that old pc's consume lots of power..
If you cannot get ivms to record post screen shots of your settings,

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Fenderman. I looked at that NVR you linked to. I did not see that on Hikvisions web site and cant find it if I search for it. On Nellys site it does say that you can use it with up to 2MP camera. I would assume I would have to go with a different more expensive model to handle 3MP or do you have experience with this particular NVR with 3MP cams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see the megapixel limitation.. I know it to exist on some of these models but I don't see it on the 4ch...
If you don't need the extra vertical field of view you can run your camera in 2mp mode.. The image will be just as clear...

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
well ended up getting the DS-7608NI-SE2/8P from Nellys and I am not having any luck with it seeing my cameras. I have searched hi and low for how the cameras should be configured for the NVR but I cant find anything definitive. [h=1][/h]

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
after you connect the cameras to the built-in POE of the NVR, try to default the NVR (under configuration->maintence) , it should reconnect all the IP cameras that are connected to it if they are hikvision.

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
hmmm, I did try that but didnt have any luck. Will it matter if I had pre configured each camera to DHCP prior to trying them with the NVR? They did work just fine with my PC. I even tried to change the ip address in the nvr to what the cameras were but no luck there either.

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
even though the NVR is set to 192.168.1.XX this is what automatically is populated in the camera setting in the NVR menu

Attachments

jwhee0615

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok finally after hours success! I restored and defaulted all cameras and the NVR and they finally came up. There must have been some conflicting setting in the cameras prohibiting them from connecting.