Issues with WD purple drives

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on but I would not alarm a whole community over this.

I have been running the same drive in my NVR since last October and not a single issue to date.

tec508

n3wb
Reaction score
I just want to comment on the last few posts. The drives all worked for 30ish days and then stopped. It's not a boot order issue, the drives CAUSE THE BIOS TO NOT POST. Please understand that means it simply will not boot from any media at all any time.

I just dropped a Seagate in that machine so we'll see how that drive fairs. When my replacement WD comes i'll put in my FreeNAS machine and see what it does after 30 days.

I'm not trying to alarm the whole community over this. But if no one ever speaks up abut an issue looking for others experiences and suggestions then how would anyone know if there was a problem?

My post doesn't state people shouldn't use these drives, just looking to find out if anyone has seen this before.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No worries, you aren't alarming anyone. No one should assume that your issues are indicative of a broader issue... not without more data and controls. This is just a general discussion of what might be wrong and what to test for. Certainly your issue itself is interesting... drives shouldn't fail like this... well other than maybe if you were using an SSD for video storage and rotation :)

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
A few comments to your points.

1. He's stated these were replacement drives which means that at least one of them worked on that PC before so there should be no issue with them being too "new" (which I'm not sure what you implying by too new). If a drive utilized some interface protocol that wasn't supported on that system it wouldn't change in the same model from one drive to another.
2. If the drive was not formatted completely, meaning a low level format, I'd be shocked that the manufacturer would send it out that way. He also stated that he's had the issue with 4 drives so I assume the drives were installed and working for some time so it's not a formatting issue.
3. He also stated he tried the drives in an external enclosure which also eliminates the issue being a bios boot order. Additionally since it was used for some time in the system that would imply the bios is already set to boot from the correct drive.
In the past I have encountered brand new sealed drives that required a BIOS update to be seen by the pc, not for some years though. Regarding formatting, also had this issue. As I said earlier, think this may have been around ME / XP time. |Never had an issue in recent times, even with SSD's. On the 3rd point, yes in an external casing the pc should see the drive. Until I read the latest post above, I didn't realise they installed correctly and then went bad, which is my bad.

I just want to comment on the last few posts. The drives all worked for 30ish days and then stopped. It's not a boot order issue, the drives CAUSE THE BIOS TO NOT POST. Please understand that means it simply will not boot from any media at all any time.
I find this very strange. I've never known a 2ndary drive to cause a PC to fail to boot. Usually the PC just boots and the only way you know the drive has failed and isn't there, is by it's absence in the My PC view / hard drive maps. Equally, I can't think of any reason why it would stop the pc from booting from other media. A secondary drive has nothing to do with the Boot table, Windows, or boot process. Any recovery media will have it's own boot table and OS. I suppose it could be some kind of hardware check and halt by the Motherboard but never known it for a non windows hard drive. Have you tried contacting the Motherboard manufacturer to see if there's any such check / halt process?

Probably a long shot, but have you also checked for malware / viruses? The fact it happens every 30 days also seems suspicious timing. I'd recommend downloading Malwarebytes Chameleon and running that (as it kills processes that otherwise block antivirus / anti-malware softwares). It should take care of any malign processes and then scan your pc with Malwarebytes. After that I'd also run an AV program for double safety as Malwarebytes is more malware than virus focused as a whole, and then Spybot as it picks up some of the more minor issues some of the others don't.

Only other thing I could think of is a heat issue in the external casing, but again the 30 day timing worries me. Why would every drive fail after exactly the same time period? That is very out of the ordinary.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I will throw my 2 cents in here, A Fubar harddrive will stop some PC's from booting, I see it all the time, I have a bench machine dedicated for recovery and have seen this behavior quite often. In some cases I believe the Electronics in the fubar drive get wacked and confuse the bios or voltages are inconsistent, either way it does happen. If I put the drive in a usb cradle and try to access it after the machine is booted sometimes I can get at it and sometimes it will freeze my bench machine. One reason I"m chiming in is I had my first WD Purple fail over the weekend, It was 16 months old and I can tell you the reason was heat. It was in a remote Truck wash building and the people shut off the circulating fan breaker so it got to cook for 3 days in a tin building, The NVR has NO cooling fans internally and is in a plywood enclosure with powered fans(that did not run). It got up to 97 here Monday. I believe heat was a factor in this case.

UPDATE: I grabbed the drive, threw it in a local machine, the machine booted , I downloaded the Western digital data Lifeguard diagnostics, It passes the smart check but flunked the read.
wd.JPG

Last edited: