It is advisable to use one of these extensions if I need a bit more cable at the cam?

james99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I shorted myself at the camera end about three feet. I need to lift the ptz up higher, and hence will need to extend the ethernet cable. Do these extensions actually work for video, or will I get bad signals?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: It is advisable to use one of these extensions if I need a bit more cable at the

Any time you add a coupler or extension your signal is attenuated...not a big deal unless the run is very long..the real problem is oxidation of the connection and adding another point of failure...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: It is advisable to use one of these extensions if I need a bit more cable at the

That should be fine. One fewer point of failure than using a coupler and a short patch cable.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

...the real problem is oxidation of the connection and adding another point of failure...
...therefore (if this extension is being installed outside) waterproof both ends with Coax Seal of some other proven weather-proofing method.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.