cmccarter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone know the wavelength of the Ir used by most common wifi cameras

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
prob around 850nm - ish

I bought one of these : http://it.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-50M-Array-IR-illuminator-infrared-lamp-6pcs-Array-Led-IR-Light-Outdoor-Waterproof-for/32247081081.html?spm=2114.010208.8.18.kM9yh5

that I recieved a while ago but I didnt have the time to try it yet.

both the normal ir and the exir from my cameras cooperate good with each others camera sensors (hikvision cameras) . so I would guess its pretty much the same for all. sorry do not have a better answer at the moment =)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
850nm should be visible to any camera with either a mechanical IR cut or no IR filter.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone know the wavelength of the Ir used by most common wifi cameras
the wavelength of the IR put out (for night-time visibility) has nothing to do with whether the camera has wi-fi or not.
the wi-fi wavelengths 2.4 or 5ghz are nowhere near the visible/IR spectrum.

that said, the IR put out by cams supporting it is not a single wavelength,
but I can say the sensitivity drops off significantly between 850nm and 940nm,
which is why you need 2-3x more IR power when using LED's centered around 940nm (not-visible) than
centered at 850nm (still see red glow from the trail-off below 850nm)...

human vision is up to ~800nm, but LED's centered ~850nm still put out some light we can see
(it's a bell-curve centered around 850nm, even with LED's, so there's some down below 800nm and some above 900nm,
unless you're talking about lasers...)

cmccarter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
the wavelength of the IR put out (for night-time visibility) has nothing to do with whether the camera has wi-fi or not.
the wi-fi wavelengths 2.4 or 5ghz are nowhere near the visible/IR spectrum.

that said, the IR put out by cams supporting it is not a single wavelength,
but I can say the sensitivity drops off significantly between 850nm and 940nm,
which is why you need 2-3x more IR power when using LED's centered around 940nm (not-visible) than
centered at 850nm (still see red glow from the trail-off below 850nm)...

human vision is up to ~800nm, but LED's centered ~850nm still put out some light we can see
(it's a bell-curve centered around 850nm, even with LED's, so there's some down below 800nm and some above 900nm,
unless you're talking about lasers...)

I was hoping it was around 850nm. got one camera that just can't seem to output enough IR to see well. I will try an 850nm illuminator and see if that helps

tnx to all