IVS never alerting

arcam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an IPC-HFW8232E-ZE running firmware 2.640.0000004.0.R, Build Date: 2019-01-18

I've had the camera set up for a while now and enjoy it, but one thing that bothers me is I've never gotten any IVS functionality to work. It's very likely I'm doing something wrong, or I have some basic misunderstanding, so a few questions:
  1. Does IVS require a Dahua NVR? or does it function on the camera itself? (I don't have an NVR at the time, just storing to SD card)
  2. Does IVS require special settings on the stream? I've seen some pages say things like "Doesn't work with H.264" but I don't know if that's up to date or applicable. I also don't see any way to configure which streams IVS operates on, so not sure how I'm supposed to configure that
  3. My test case is this:
    1. Set up a simple single-line tripwire and walk through it
    2. I then check the Playback page in the WebUI for Event recordings, and nothing is there
I can post more details if necessary, but what am I missing?

thanks!

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A couple questions:

1. I assume you have a microSD card for it to record to, since you don't have an NVR. Correct me if I'm wrong on that
2. If you're able to observe the camera's Web UI , does your tripwire flash red to show that it triggered when you cross it?

arcam

n3wb
Reaction score
1. Correct, just a 128GB microSD
2. No, the tripwire stays blue no matter the direction I walk through it

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. Correct, just a 128GB microSD
2. No, the tripwire stays blue no matter the direction I walk through it
Ok here is a quick set of things to check. I'm guessing one of the layers of scheduling is disarmed, basically.

1. confirm the cam's seeing your card:
1580070790367.png

2. make sure the "Local" path (your card) is selected:

1580070711038.png

3: make sure your Event > Video Detection > Motion Detection master toggle is Enabled, and that the Period > Setting > schedule panel has Motion Detection enabled for the desired timeframe.

1580070544381.png

5. In Storage > Schedule, there's individual schedules for Record and Snapshot. The yellow bar indicates Motion events will be acted upon during desired timeframes.

1580070635134.png

6. the IVS rule will have its own schedule and you can pick which actions it should take, like snapshots or recordings:

1580071113540.png

arcam

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for your help so far!

1. Yes, SD card appears. It is full because I have it auto-overwrite the older video files. Not sure if that matters here
2. For the rest of the settings I copied yours, only one missing was the snapshot destination setting

I tried both Tripwire and Intrusion and neither caused any events to be recorded. The line/box always stays blue when I test it.

On a whim I disabled the IVS alerts and instead just added a Video Detection Area (Events -> Video Detection -> Area) - After adjusting the Sensitivity and Threshold settings it appears to record on events just fine. I'm not getting any snapshots, but I do get a yellow band on the playback timeline for when an object was moving in the area...

My scene is fairly noisy in that there's a lot of trees outside my house, so a breeze does cause motion to be detected quite often, could it just be that my scene is too complex for IVS to work reliably? I would have expected false-positives if that were the case, but, I'm not sure how IVS works.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting. What happens if you try an intrusion-detection box in place of a tripwire style? I also forgot to ask one other detail, which is to check if there's a Smart Plan turned on.

1580076168375.png

You know if IVS is doing its IVS thing because there will be outlines around candidate targets like a person on foot.

Also, welcome to the Forum :)

arcam

n3wb
Reaction score
aha! that was it! After turning the IVS Smart Plan on I now get events for IVS. I'm still not seeing snapshots saved, but that was a bit of a nice-to-have anyway

thank you!

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excellent! :) For the snapshots, there's a semi-related setting up in Camera > Video you could look at:

1580076850595.png

You might also try formatting the card so it has all its space available, plus that will reboot the camera, and then just skim the prior settings once more to make sure all of the layers of scheduling & enabling are dialed in for the Snapshots.