IVS not sending trigger to BI, but MD/SMD does - why?

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of learning a couple of Dahua cameras and using them on Blue Iris. I have encountered a puzzling issue with a IPC-T2431T-AS camera: I setup an IVS (intrusion) rule and when it triggered I get no recording on BI, but it DOES record the video on the micro SDcard (yes, IVS smart plan is enabled). However, I can turn off IVS, create a Smart Motion Detection zone and when triggered it records on BI and the camera's micro SDcard. It's like the IVS trip doesn't send an event/trigger but SMD does.

Any idea why or what I'm doing wrong?

I'm also testing an IPC-T5442TM-AS camera that records IVS events to both BI & micro SDcard. Camera setups in BI seem similar for both cameras.

Another question for use with BI: Do you create a separate user account on the dahua camera setup specifically for BI (if so, is it an admin account or just ONVIF user - if admin what capabilities allowed for that account). I've noticed that changes/additions to accounts require a reboot of the camera.

Here's some other findings:

- I have 3 of the 2431 cameras and found that after factory reset & inititialization BI wouldn't detect them properly. But if I created a new user account in the camera page (in IE browser) or even just an ONVIF user, BI detects everything fine.

- I've seen other posts mentioning "abandonded object" and "missing object" IVS function. I have managed to get it working on the 5442 camera a few times (it is VERY much "hit or miss"). It exhibited a similar issue to the one above about recording: when it worked it would record to micro SD but not in BI, while intrusion or tripwire rules on the same camera recorded to both.

I have to say as a former software tester, some of the dahua functionsand UI elements are a bit flaky lol.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to make sure that BI is using an account that can see ONVIF.

This is a common problem unfortunately when someone changes the admin password or it doesn't carry over to ONVIF user when initially setting up the camera.

What happens is the ONVIF user password isn't changed.

1675018109751.png

Select it and then change the admin password for the ONVIF user to match your new password.

Or simply create a new user and password and use that.

Go into the camera GUI and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers. It will probably pull the camera up as generic and that is ok.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First, thanks for the informative reply.

I've scoured and checked and verified that I have done everything you mentioned. I re-ran the "Find/Inspect" in BI and the output contains the line: "Has Event Services: /onvif/event_service" (and it does detect as generic. The thing that doesn't make sense is that SMD from the camera works, but IVS doesn't even though both type triggers record to the camera's SD card.

Snap-2023-01-29-18-08-42.png

I just did a test. I have setup a SMD zone separate and away from the IVS zone. I triggered the SMD zone at 18:35:20 and walked out of that zone to a non-monitored area, then walked into the IVS zone several seconds later at 18:35:41. Both events were recorded on the camera's SD card, but only the SMD event on Blue Iris.

Two CAM Triggers.png

One BI trigger.png
NOTE: the camera in question is "Cam 12", the other cam ("CAM16") was triggered when I came back in the house.

I presume the trigger to BI is the same for either type of event (SMD or IVS)? It seems like BI isn't receiving any trigger info from the camera for the IVS event, but does get it for the SMD event.

BTW I note that the BI Alert clip is marked as "EXTERNAL". Is that expected versus "ONVIF" (which I have seen before).

Snap-2023-01-29-18-53-17.png

Any input would be appreciated as I am thoroughly confused.

Snap-2023-01-29-17-55-13.pngSnap-2023-01-29-17-55-34.pngSnap-2023-01-29-17-56-10.png

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have MD/SMD enabled and IVS rules and the MD/SMD triggers first then BI will only show that. In your test the camera may still have been in a BI triggered state when you went from SMD area to IVS area, so it won't show an IVS trigger.

Turn off MD/SMD and then see if BI triggers for the IVS.

That will tell us the next step.

Most of us either use MD/SMD or IVS and not both.

Last edited:

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have MD/SMD enabled and IVS rules and the MD/SMD triggers first then BI will only show that. In your test the camera may still have been in a BI triggered state when you went from SMD area to IVS area, so it won't show an IVS trigger.

Turn off MD/SMD and then see if BI triggers for the IVS.

That will tell us the next step.

Most of us either use MD/SMD or IVS and not both.
Again thank you for the quick response.

I only created the SMD for this test. I had already verified that SMD works as expected with BI.

The "problem" is that when there is only the IVS rule/function enabled, Blue Iris doesn't seem to get the trigger and record it (but the camera does record the IVS detected event).

BTW, in my test I made a point to not enter the IVS area until after the SMD trigger had expired.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I thought you were trying it with both enabled at same time.

Yours looks just like mine, except I have the buffer at 40MB - I wouldn't think that would be it, but give that a shot.

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I thought you were trying it with both enabled at same time.

Yours looks just like mine, except I have the buffer at 40MB - I wouldn't think that would be it, but give that a shot.
Hmmm. I increased it to 40 like you have. The 6 MB was just what it defaulted to.

I will test it later tonight and report back tomorrow.

I may have have found a small BI bug - using the ^ button on the "Recieve buffer" entry box, it tops out at 20. I was able to change it to 40 using the keyboard (I told you I used to test software ;))

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After increasing it to 40 MB, it is working! I changed it back to 6 MB and it continued to work.

Looking at the BI help file it mentions that the buffer can be increased up to 20MB, so that limit isn't a bug (even though you can enter larger numbers). I've now set the buffer to 20 MB.

I continue to experiment and have one question more: I see where the pre-trigger record time can be set (Record tab), but where (if) is the setting for how long to record the event? Is that time dictated by how long the trigger signal is that comes from the camera? If so, is that set by the "Record delay" value for the IVS rule? Or is there somewhere in BI for it that I'm missing?

I've read the BI help description, but I'm still foggy on what the "Trigger until reset" box does with IVS triggers. The event clips describe these as "external".

Again, thanks for the help (I'm sure I'll have more).

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably coincidence. The buffer setting shouldn't affect that. I know that I have it working with cams set to the default 6.

Look at Trigger tab > Break time at bottom of screen > End trigger unless re-triggered within ___ sec.

Break time

The Break time is simply the duration of the triggered state. If there is no additional
triggering during the break time, the trigger state will expire and recording will stop (unless
otherwise configured on the Record page).

If an additional trigger occurs while the camera is already triggered, this is called a re-trigger,
and the break timer is reset. The triggered state (and associated recording etc.) always
continue for this period of time beyond the most recent trigger event.

An overall maximum trigger time is configurable. You may defeat this with a value of ‘0’.
Like the Alert page setting for also re-triggers, this option provides another method to “re-
alert” for continuing motion or other triggers. However it also forces the trigger to end,
which may affect recording file cuts and other “on trigger” events.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well dang. Glad that solved it!

The event clips will say external meaning it wasn't BI motion.

The trigger until reset means it will stay in a triggered state until motion stops. So say it triggers and someone stays in the view, the trigger until reset means it will stay triggered and the alert clip will include all those. If you uncheck it, then you will get several alert clips if someone stays in the field of view and keeps triggering different IVS rules.

How long it records is on the Trigger tab. So end trigger means it will stop 10 seconds after the motion stopped.

1675094307283.png

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.

Man, the "End trigger.." fiield is right in front of my nose and I missed it!

One thing that really helped my testing & troubleshooting was being able to view the camera recordings in IE with the IVS & detections enabled. Pretty neat.

Adding a final update: It turns out it wasn't solved. I may have had SMD turned on (?) Anyway, I tried it on my four other cameras of the same model & firmware all with the same problem (IVS event/alert not recieved by BI). I contacted Andy and he referred me to a newer f/w version which immediately cured the problem.

Last edited:

teejnut

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.

Man, the "End trigger.." fiield is right in front of my nose and I missed it!

One thing that really helped my testing & troubleshooting was being able to view the camera recordings in IE with the IVS & detections enabled. Pretty neat.

Adding a final update: It turns out it wasn't solved. I may have had SMD turned on (?) Anyway, I tried it on my four other cameras of the same model & firmware all with the same problem (IVS event/alert not recieved by BI). I contacted Andy and he referred me to a newer f/w version which immediately cured the problem.
Do you have the link of the FW version where the IVS works for you?

Leroy60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you have the link of the FW version where the IVS works for you?
Sorry for the late response, but here is the link Andy sent to me:

Firmware

Select Download, then pulldown firmware. The file is: DH_IPC-HX2X4X-Taylor_MultiLang_PN_V2.840.0000000.8.R.221213

I upgraded all four of my 2431 cameras with this and IVS is working properly on them now.

NOTE: This is a link to Dahua product page for 2441 camera but it is the one I was given and used successfully.

m2a

n3wb
Reaction score
new firmware available (DH_IPC-HX2X4X-Taylor_MultiLang_PN_V2.840.0000000.14.R.231124)

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Leroy60 What Blue Iris version are you on? ....because your Blue Iris camera trigger tab screenshot does not look like it has the ONVIF triggers. It should look like this:
onvif triggers.png

You need to be on BI v5.7.5 or higher, best to go more recent. Take a look at 2 more screenshots I share here:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Leroy60 What Blue Iris version are you on? ....because your Blue Iris camera trigger tab screenshot does not look like it has the ONVIF triggers. It should look like this:
View attachment 185279

You need to be on BI v5.7.5 or higher, best to go more recent. Take a look at 2 more screenshots I share here:
Read further up as @Leroy60 followed my instructions and it works.

And it works on older versions.

I am on 5.5.6.20 and it works. The screenshot I showed above - in older versions ONVIF shows up under the "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" box.

1707145318866.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj I believe you when you say your older BI version works with your cameras but if Leroy is having problems, my suggestion is to upgrade BI version because Ken reworked the ONVIF triggers a ton starting with v5.7.5 release. ken added an additional screen to turn off/on any number of ONVIF events and add custom ONVIF triggers. My link to other thread shows that screen.
I get that, but look at the thread dates - Leroy last posted here in March of last year that everything is working for him now based on my suggestions. It isn't like this is a new thread with an issue....

This thread only popped up "new" because someone chimed in on this thread that a new camera firmware was available, but the thread itself is over a year old.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@wittaj You're correct. I just noticed how old this thread it is.
Yeah, I have been burned on that too with an old thread that was revived and I thought it was new and start typing away LOL.

Certainly the modifications and additions Ken has made regarding pulling all the ONVIF triggers are great and I am taking full advantage of that on my other system!