IVS object size setting..

Jedi2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IVS allows to specify the object size to distinguish various objects (e.g. people, car, pet, etc.) by setting minimum and maximum integer value. However, the document gives no clue as to what min and max value should be set for car, people, etc. Any idea?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use it to help you tune out "false alerts". For example, I have a fox that crosses one of my cameras about every night. I only care about recording humans, so I set the minimum object size setting to be larger than the fox. I don't think I set the maximum object size, but if I had cars driving across the same area and wanted to filter them out, I could set the maximum object size to something larger than a human. Those sizes are 100% custom to my installation, which is probably why Dahua doesn't give any suggestions... it really is going to vary by every install.

I haven't messed with these in awhile (I run Blue Iris and let it do the motion detection), but I remember using my browser to literally draw a shape for the min object size, and the camera converted that into the numeric values.

Jedi2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use it to help you tune out "false alerts". For example, I have a fox that crosses one of my cameras about every night. I only care about recording humans, so I set the minimum object size setting to be larger than the fox. I don't think I set the maximum object size, but if I had cars driving across the same area and wanted to filter them out, I could set the maximum object size to something larger than a human. Those sizes are 100% custom to my installation, which is probably why Dahua doesn't give any suggestions... it really is going to vary by every install.

I haven't messed with these in awhile (I run Blue Iris and let it do the motion detection), but I remember using my browser to literally draw a shape for the min object size, and the camera converted that into the numeric values.
What minimum integer value did you use for human? And how did you derive the value?

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
What minimum integer value did you use for human? And how did you derive the value?
Set the preset, then on that screen you can decide the size of the box based on how big a person would be based on the amount of zoom you are utilizing..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For deriving the value, I drew a shape of the size that I wanted, and it computed the values automatically. See the attachment. I drew the little box in the middle (by holding down the mouse button and moving it) and it automatically sized that as 309x514.

I didn't size for humans. I sized for things smaller than humans that I didn't want setting off the IVS rule. Unless your scene is at the same zoom as someone else's, you can't use their values.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.11.27 PM.png