IVS Recording on DVR

Reaction score
Hi All!

I have a Dahua DVR I've been using for some time its a DHI-NVR2108HS-8P-4KS2 using 3.216.0000000.0, Build Date: 2018-07-05

The NVR supposedly supports IVS recording, but the menu does not show any IVS option (as shown in the first screenshot, it only has Video detection, alarm and abnormality options).Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 7.42.03 PM.png

I've set the IVS rules directly on the cameras themselves (I have 5442 and some 3541's) and they seem to be doing their job - and catching intrusions and tripwires - as per the logs. Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 6.17.00 PM.png

I'm completely lost to be honest as to how to get the IVS intrusions/tripwire events to record on the NVR. Currently I have the NVR schedule set up to record everything 24/7 "General" along with 24/7 for Alarm and Motion Detection. When I look through search, the NVR isn't picking up any IVS events.

Thanks!

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
two options are shown there - NO or NC. Did some quick searching which reveals that stands for never open and never closed.

Andy pointed me to the NVR set up guide but that hasn’t been much help.
Usually NO- means a normally open contact and NC - means a normally closed contact.

In an alarm state these input contacts will trigger the required output. They can be both hardware i.e door switch or software ( written into the program ). The drop down menu is an example of adjusting the software program too get the required output / results.

If i remember right this started in the 80's. Large scale manufacturers i.e the motor industry were able to quickly adapt / change production lines using software rather than the labour intensive and time consuming methods of running new cables, switches and rewiring control panels. Do a Google on programmable logic controllers PLC if interested.

See link for contact explanation below and Good luck

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
two options are shown there - NO or NC. Did some quick searching which reveals that stands for never open and never closed.
Makes sense now I know the context, which is not so much alarm type as it is RELAY CONTACT type, with NO being "Normally Open" and NC being "Normally Closed".

I'm used to seeing it in relay specs and PLC's but with periods (N.O. and N.C). :cool:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmm - The link you posted shows it has IVS under "Record".

My bad I missed that

Odd, it doesn’t mention it under video detection.
Usually you see an icon at top of that spec page that says either IVS, Perimeter Protection, or Smart recording and its listed as such.

Could be the NVR itself can’t do IVS but it can accept IVS detection from the camera? Is there no mention of IVS on the recording control tab?

On the camera do you have Record checked on the IVS rule?

Reaction score
My bad I missed that

Odd, it doesn’t mention it under video detection.
Usually you see an icon at top of that spec page that says either IVS, Perimeter Protection, or Smart recording and its listed as such.

Could be the NVR itself can’t do IVS but it can accept IVS detection from the camera? Is there no mention of IVS on the recording control tab?

On the camera do you have Record checked on the IVS rule?
The odd thing is I only have three options under record. General, alarm and MD (motion detection). Seems that the UI has no mention of the IVS.

Reaction score
Bigred is exactly right, I work for a distributor here in the US we had a batch of those - not a fan, it is a gimped lite series and will never work with any AI Analytics.
Thanks for confirming. Any specific model you’d recommend that supports 8ch POE and the new AI/SMD features?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5000 series seems to be the sweet spot for basic AI

I notice they’ve updated to say “by camera” on the IVS/AI functions which I assume means as long as the camera has the capability but that the NVR can’t with an otherwise dumb camera. Pushed the AI to the camera vs the NVR

A step up is the I series

Looks like they dumbed down and limited the 2000 series

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Usually NO- means a normally open contact and NC - means a normally closed contact.

In an alarm state these input contacts will trigger the required output. They can be both hardware i.e door switch or software ( written into the program ). The drop down menu is an example of adjusting the software program too get the required output / results.

If i remember right this started in the 80's. Large scale manufacturers i.e the motor industry were able to quickly adapt / change production lines using software rather than the labour intensive and time consuming methods of running new cables, switches and rewiring control panels. Do a Google on programmable logic controllers PLC if interested.

See link for contact explanation below and Good luck

PLC's came about as you could have a multiple cabinets of relays (very large cabinets) and reduce that footprint to 2 or 3 square foot instead of 100's of square feet of backplate mounted, clunking relays. Troubleshooting a relay controlled machine line was pure nightmare, as there were so many connectivity points that you could lose the signal at. You had to take your meter and a roll of prints, start at one end of the circuit and keep tracing until you found out where you had either a loose wire, a pitted set of contacts or a relay coil that gave up the ghost. In PLC's you had input and output cards that the devices were wired directly to and you could use the ladder logic program inside of the PLC to quickly pinpoint which device was not working.

The new PLC's are now all ethernet capable, so a engineer can troubleshoot a machine anywhere in the world on his laptop from his easy-chair while sipping a beer at home. They make all types of cards that can go into the PLC's, which allow you to control and monitor virtually anything you want. And they are cheap, too. (Except Allen Bradley. They are way, way too proud of their shit)