IVS Tripwire on Dahua

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone written up a guide of sorts on IVS Tripwire on Dahua cameras (ex IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)? I seem to struggle to understand the logic.

There is a “detection zone”. Should this be used big to the boarder of the frame to allow time for an object to be noticed before the trip lines, unless there is a lot of noise causing false triggers that necessitate making it smaller?

Are the tripwire rules “OR” or “AND”? In other words, does an object that crosses any rule cause a trigger, or does it take an object crossing all active rules to cause a trigger?

Does a zig-zag rule make the rule more sensitive or less sensitive?

What does the “Parameters” tab sensitivity do? Is this minimum pixel change or contrast or velocity of change for each rule?

How does an intrusion area differ from a trip wire area (enclosed polygon)?

In the past, I have noticed a person needs to be seen (trigger level 1), then cross a line (trigger level 2), and then exit a line (trigger level 3) to count as a trigger in the recording. Perhaps I am wrong in this, but it seems to be what I have seen when I get it to work.

I have also heard that changing the "Encode" "Smart Code" to closed vs open has an affect, but perhaps this is only with an incompatible NVR.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Wiki does not really address any of my above issues. What is needed is more of a best practices. If i get through this, maybe i will write one.

Adding to the tripwire mysteries: I have noticed when i do get the setup working that strangely it is far more sensitive/responsive to small people than to large people. It appears that large people cross multiple lines and are not preferably identified as a moved object crossing a line, exactly the opposite of what would be expected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trying to setup Tripwire on the Dahua NVR Web remote web page. I have a Dahua Camera
IPC-HDW4631C-A. You only can setup the Tripwire on the Camera remote web page, but not on the NVR remote web page or on the SmartPSS(Latest version) app on the Macbook(Latest OS). I tried it on Windows 10 with SmartPSS and NVR remote web page too, doesn't work on it either. I attached pictures for reference

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not likley to work well. Private seems to be Dahua's protocol. Others, for sure Axis, are choices in the drop down menu.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I meant this issue; did you find a way to fix this
Adding to the tripwire mysteries: I have noticed when i do get the setup working that strangely it is far more sensitive/responsive to small people than to large people. It appears that large people cross multiple lines and are not preferably identified as a moved object crossing a line, exactly the opposite of what would be expected.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I meant this issue; did you find a way to fix this
Can you post a sample of your setup with the IVS rules visible? It sounds like your "tripwires" are far to close, and/or the min/max size is not "optimal".

My advice: start over, mess around, test around, start over again, until you get satisfactionary results, even with bugs flying by during the night.
Happy Camming!
CC

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To jump back on this thread, can I please ask a silly question?

What is the difference between an "alarm" vs a triggered IVS rule? That is, are "alarms" for notifications to an external receiver (such as a phone), vs "events", where, say, a person has crossed a tripwire (as per a preset rule)? Mat

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
To jump back on this thread, can I please ask a silly question?

What is the difference between an "alarm" vs a triggered IVS rule? That is, are "alarms" for notifications to an external receiver (such as a phone), vs "events", where, say, a person has crossed a tripwire (as per a preset rule)? Mat
There are no silly questions ;-) Only silly answers :) So let's try to make one! :-D

How I see these things: some devices (like an NVR but also some cameras) they have these (green on Dahua) wires/pin layouts:

Within your NVR, you can "program" the "logic" behind it: IF X happens THEN close hatch Y. In the example of Dahua Wiki, you can see how they attach a strobe light/buzzer to it: DahuaWiki

So these "alarms" are the "physical" integrations towards the outer world.

But what is driving them? That brings us down to the IVS rules, which create indeed events: in your IVS settings (or even motion detection), you setup how these events become an alarm:

So, coming back to your question: is there a difference between these events and alarms, then the answer is "no", they do not replace each other but are interwoven one way or the other.

Hope this helps!
CC

mat-with-one-t

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very helpful CC. I have an alarm unit in the same place as the NVR, so it’d be easy to setup. The one down side I’d imagine would be “false positives” making the very noisy alarm go off incessantly.....!

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Very helpful CC. I have an alarm unit in the same place as the NVR, so it’d be easy to setup. The one down side I’d imagine would be “false positives” making the very noisy alarm go off incessantly.....!
The "false positives" will make you go nutts, however it is important to highlight the difference between a (home) alarm system and (home) video surveillance system. Alarms are your first frontline: window sensors, door sensors, PIR in the house, glass break contacts etc. One that "reports" in, and oppa, off goes the alarm to scare away the burglars. Video surveillance on the other hand, can serve different aims: I personally like it as a burglar "deterrant": if they see the camera's, they'll know they can be watched in real time, or afterwards. Which can on its side create a "camera destruction rampage" (so they can "kill the footage") or they can run away. Or you install your camera's in a sneaky way, for video "evidence" later after the crime. So in these cases, leveraging the IPC/NVR alarm might be very prone to false positives, especially when they are placed outside (and then you have crazy clouds, stupid cats, wild foxes causing false positives alarms, and the occasional burglar won't get spotted). On the other hand, an indoor cam can be VERY well placed to "augment" your alarm system, when "seeing" something, triggering the alarm. But not if you have a wild cat inhouse, or spiders, or ... You'll get the picture. In the end, that physical alarm IO from the IPC/NVR does not differ from a "real" alarm sensor (eg window latch).

I hope this helps!

Happy Camming!
CC

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but still a very useful one and a great viewpoint presented by @catcamstar of the difference between an alarm system and Video surveilance system - it's certainly helped me understand their respective roles.

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have setup a trip wire rule on my camera but have yet to get it to notify me. I can set a notification for MD and it will email as well as notify DMSS but not the trip wire. I am not sure but in the schedule setup the only day that's checked is Sunday and it is grey if I click on ALL and save it always goes back to just the grayed out Sunday. I am not sure if that's the issue or something else. I left the min/max at default. IPC-T5442TM-AS and looks to have lates FW

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have setup a trip wire rule on my camera but have yet to get it to notify me. I can set a notification for MD and it will email as well as notify DMSS but not the trip wire. I am not sure but in the schedule setup the only day that's checked is Sunday and it is grey if I click on ALL and save it always goes back to just the grayed out Sunday. I am not sure if that's the issue or something else. I left the min/max at default. IPC-T5442TM-AS and looks to have lates FW
As far as I know: it's EITHER motion detection (with the colored blocks with their sensitivity) EITHER IVS (smart plan). If the enable the first, all rules in the latter won't do a thing. So disable MD, enable smart plan, draw your rules and thén subscribe in DMSS to these IVS rules.

Good luck!
CC

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As far as I know: it's EITHER motion detection (with the colored blocks with their sensitivity) EITHER IVS (smart plan). If the enable the first, all rules in the latter won't do a thing. So disable MD, enable smart plan, draw your rules and thén subscribe in DMSS to these IVS rules.

Good luck!
CC
Yes I tried that at first only the IVS rule and when that continued not to work I enabled the MD. The IVS rule will not email or do a notification. The MD will do both.