J-Tech Digital Hdmi Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I bought one to try out before doing my permanent install. Worked amazing for 2 hours, then the receiver portion burned out. I bought this on amazon, and the refund was quick. I tried contacting the seller to see if maybe they had a bad batch or something, but no reply(reviews were good and bad with this product). Figured I'd pass along my experiences. Still looking for something that will accomplish what this product does but reliably.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How long of a cable do you need?

There are a bunch of different devices for this purpose and long hdmi cables work pretty well too.

These devices fall in a few categories:
fairly passive devices that rely on 2 cat-6 cables and work better with stp. (cheapest typically)
single cable devices that don't conform to any standards
HDBase-T devices use a single cable non-routeable (only option where some devices support 4k, probably the most dependable/reliable option)
IP based extenders that are routeable (no inter-brand compatibility).
most cost a lot more than the j-tech and STP Cat-6 or even Cat-6a is recommended for most options.

You might try this one, I haven't used it myself:
Bit-Path AV™ HDMI® over Ethernet Extender Kit - Monoprice.com

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How long of a cable do you need?

There are a bunch of different devices for this purpose and long hdmi cables work pretty well too.

These devices fall in a few categories:
fairly passive devices that rely on 2 cat-6 cables and work better with stp. (cheapest typically)
single cable devices that don't conform to any standards
HDBase-T devices use a single cable non-routeable (only option where some devices support 4k, probably the most dependable/reliable option)
IP based extenders that are routeable (no inter-brand compatibility).
most cost a lot more than the j-tech and STP Cat-6 or even Cat-6a is recommended for most options.

You might try this one, I haven't used it myself:
Bit-Path AV™ HDMI® over Ethernet Extender Kit - Monoprice.com
That looks appealing, not sure why I didn't see it when I searched. I will try these next if I have no luck on Saturday. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. Will be running the wires this weekend. Never buying a 2 story house again, it is going to suck.

benetton73

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchase a Portta PET60ER, had to return it since the IR didn't work, had it running for about a month with no other issues, then I purchased a AGPTEK LKV372A it been running for about a week and the IR works perfectly, not sure if you require IR as well, I have my NVR in the basement so the IR helped changing camera views and other options.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. Will be running the wires this weekend. Never buying a 2 story house again, it is going to suck.
If you haven't run the cables yet rethink cat-5e USE CAT-6!

Also some of these only run at 1080i.

Cat5e is typically rated 350MHz.
Cat6 is rated 500-550MHz
The extra bandwith really matters.

What's this for? If it's your security cams, you could simply use another NVR, PC, or rPi for a secondary display.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I purchase a Portta PET60ER, had to return it since the IR didn't work, had it running for about a month with no other issues, then I purchased a AGPTEK LKV372A it been running for about a week and the IR works perfectly, not sure if you require IR as well, I have my NVR in the basement so the IR helped changing camera views and other options.
I'm starting to wonder if IR is something i should start looking into. I was going to have the screens cycle based on time or possibly events, but maybe I'll see how much of a hassle it is to have IR setup with BI box.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you haven't run the cables yet rethink cat-5e USE CAT-6!

Also some of these only run at 1080i.

Cat5e is typically rated 350MHz.
Cat6 is rated 500-550MHz
The extra bandwith really matters.

What's this for? If it's your security cams, you could simply use another NVR, PC, or rPi for a secondary display.

I already cut wire off the 1000ft reel or else I'd exchange it. It will be my hp box for BI, going through display port(2) to hdmi, then hdmi to cat5e x 2, to my TV in master bedroom(150ft pita), and living room which is ~30ft(already has 1 cat5e ran). I'm just trying to make this super simple for the wife to see what is going on, by changing the input on the TV, instead of a chrome cast or fire stick setup which requires multiple steps to see anything.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
I've used both the mono price and Jtech without issues. I've used the jtech 4 or 5 times though because of the price savings over the mono price ones.

Honestly though, if walls are open, or you have access to pull cable from point A - B I just run the HDMI cable as this means I don't have to screw with additional power outlet needs for the power packs etc, nor am I adding additional hardware points of potential failure.

As much as I like the quality and dependability of Monoprice gear, I have found the 100' HDMI cables from Aurum and Twisted Veins on Amazon to perform just as well.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Persoanlly I'd spend money on an raspberry pi or an HTPC that does double duty cams & entertainment rather than hdmi extenders

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The problem with rasberry pi is me... im comfortable with windows/mac, but the few times ive dabbled in trying to learn/use any linux OS, my patience can't maintain with the learning that I need to do what task I want to accomplish. If I had more time in life to give it another try, i would, but I don't. :(

As for htpc...what would be an efficient way for viewing cameras? RDP/licenses? web browser going to the BI webpage(would it be fullscreen?)?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with rasberry pi is me... im comfortable with windows/mac, but the few times ive dabbled in trying to learn/use any linux OS, my patience can't maintain with the learning that I need to do what task I want to accomplish. If I had more time in life to give it another try, i would, but I don't. :(

As for htpc...what would be an efficient way for viewing cameras? RDP/licenses? web browser going to the BI webpage(would it be fullscreen?)?
Lol I've been using linux since I turned 11. I was patching and compiling the kernel source code in high school.

An HTPC can run windows. You can use a browser in some form, another license for BI, or other software like SmartPSS or bluestacks and tinycam

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started with redhat when i was a kid, got irritated i couldn't unzip something, gave it a long hiatus, played with ubuntu which was friendlier, but wasn't compatible with some hardware I had, couple years back i tried debian... they just aren't for me......which is surprising since I loved dos command prompt over windows back in the day. I vaguely remember BeOS, in it's alpha stages and being stoked about wanting to get it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been using Linux since I stole the redhat 3.0 install disk out of a book in the Mall ~1996.. yes I stole linux hah.. couldn't download the iso back then w/dialup and we didnt have burners yet anyhow, and my grandma wasent gonna buy some $80 book just for a CD in the back cover.. by 1999 I had entirely abandoned Windows and used linux as my primary desktop until ~2007 when OSX moved from PPC to Intel and I could hack it to run on my own hardware.. since then I been using OSX for desktop and Linux for everything else.. the year of the Linux desktop never came and back then Flash was ruling the web, OSX had HW Accelerated Flash Video, Linux did not.. and as much as I work with Video OSX was sooo much better.. Final Cut pro, fuck yeah.. Editing Video files from command line, oh fuck no.

My technology skill set, career, and hell even my family because I met my wife at work are all thanks to switching to Linux back when I was a teenager..

Started off with RedHat, then moved to Slackware, then found Debian and Ive been on debian since ~2002ish

Last edited:

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I remember no flash back then was aggravating, but not end of the world since ubuntu was just a virtual machine. Computers used to be fun and exciting to me since everything was moving so fast, then I got burned out and looked for another career. Hats off to you for sticking with it! :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Been using Linux since I stole the redhat 3.0 install disk out of a book in the Mall ~1996.. yes I stole linux hah.. couldn't download the iso back then w/dialup and we didnt have burners yet anyhow, and my grandma wasent gonna buy some $80 book just for a CD in the back cover.. by 1999 I had entirely abandoned Windows and used linux as my primary desktop until ~2007 when OSX moved from PPC to Intel and I could hack it to run on my own hardware.. since then I been using OSX for desktop and Linux for everything else.. the year of the Linux desktop never came and back then Flash was ruling the web, OSX had HW Accelerated Flash Video, Linux did not.. and as much as I work with Video OSX was sooo much better.. Final Cut pro, fuck yeah.. Editing Video files from command line, oh fuck no.

My technology skill set, career, and hell even my family because I met my wife at work are all thanks to switching to Linux back when I was a teenager..

Started off with RedHat, then moved to Slackware, then found Debian and Ive been on debian since ~2002ish
You know there were sites where you could pay about $5 and have a linux CD mailed to you. Or your local LUG.

Windows 98 and ME gave a lot of people good reason to try linux. I don't use it as much as I used to these days, but I'm never too far from an SSH session or VM. The best way to really learn linux is to commit put it on a machine don't dual boot and force yourself to learn how to use it. slackware was good for that.

@wantafastz28
You really don't have to learn that much to pull off displaying cams with a PI especially if you can wait for more development on nayr's project: GitHub - nayrnet/raspipc: rasIPC.tv - Network Security Cameras on your TV

You can use CEC to change input or even turn the TV on when certain things happen with some effort.