J-Tech Digital Hdmi Extender By Single Cat 5E/6/7

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not back then, the advice on the internet if you wanted a Linux CD was to go buy the book from the bookstore.. I was one of the founding members of ACLUG and even though I moved far away from it over a decade ago, I'm still on the mailer... I was both attending and presenting lectures at Wichita State before I could grow facial hair :p When burners came out I was bringing in free linux disks to all the meetings, that was until we registered our LUG w/RedHat/Suse/Mandrake/Slackware and they started sending us real legit disks to distribute via sneakernet.

I kept a clean Windows98se partition arround to play CounterStrike and Half Life on.. then they got em working in Wine, and not only that but they worked better in Linux than Windows, no more BSOD in the middle of a fragfest.. at the time my Win partition had no browser, no antivirus, and had the disk frozen so every time you booted into windows it was exactly like the time it was before.. but after I got my games playable in linux I deleted the windows partition and never installed it again.. by the time XP came out I was so done with windows..

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@wantafastz28
You really don't have to learn that much to pull off displaying cams with a PI especially if you can wait for more development on nayr's project: GitHub - nayrnet/raspipc: rasIPC.tv - Network Security Cameras on your TV

You can use CEC to change input or even turn the TV on when certain things happen with some effort.

You say that, but I wouldn't even know where to begin on even building/buying a rpi since I don't know what kind of requirements would be needed. If i had a job with less hours and not a kid on the way, I'd be all about it. Just not enough time.... :(

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lol half life... that game consumed a good portion of my summer break in 8th grade. Think i had a addon/tethered voodoo video card back then just to play it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not back then, the advice on the internet if you wanted a Linux CD was to go buy the book from the bookstore..
man time flies... you're right there was a big difference between 1996 and 1998.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lol half life... that game consumed a good portion of my summer break in 8th grade. Think i had a addon/tethered voodoo video card back then just to play it.
SLI 3DFX Voodoo2 on a overclocked 350Mhz, was way better than the P133 w/Voodoo1 I was playing Quake1/2 with.. or the 386 with 1200baud modem I was playing Doom with.. or the text RPG games on an Apple2, or my very first a Commodore 64 that i just have vauge memories of at this point heh.. man im feeling old as shit.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lol, I went from doom to duke nukem to starcraft to half life then I had to live life for a while... now it's overwatch

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Doom and Duke, you guys skipped over the best game ever... Wolfenstein 3D!!!!! Hell, I remember my first VoDoo3 16mb card!! Was working st Best Buy in Pc repair and we got a returned one, marked it down as missing everything but card and had by buddy come buy it for like $50 when it was retailing for like $300! Wow, the old days of no cares or responsibilities in the world :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Lol, oh i played wolfenstein, but at the time we were too poor for a computer, I had to use my neighbors.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember playing Duke Nukem on a computer so slow some of the outdoor scene framerates were like watching flashcards flipping. No 3dfx card for me then. I still have my first Voodoo 3 in a box of spare parts though. Now if you can't get 60 fps on something it seems choppy.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
How long of a cable do you need?

You might try this one, I haven't used it myself:
Bit-Path AV™ HDMI® over Ethernet Extender Kit - Monoprice.com

What i bought ended up having to be returned. It worked great on my Samsung tv, but no dice with my new vizio. I bought the item listed by you, and just tested it today. It works great on cat5e that's 156', and also works on my vizio. Reviews say using these on a network gave saturation issues. I will see how noticeable it is tonight. If it is a headache, i will just get a cheap switch to keep them isolated. Thanks again @tangent.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What i bought ended up having to be returned. It worked great on my Samsung tv, but no dice with my new vizio. I bought the item listed by you, and just tested it today. It works great on cat5e that's 156', and also works on my vizio. Reviews say using these on a network gave saturation issues. I will see how noticeable it is tonight. If it is a headache, i will just get a cheap switch to keep them isolated. Thanks again @tangent.
If it's between two points just connect them directly with a short patch cable and you don't need a switch at all. You only need to bring a switch into it if you're driving 2 TVs

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it's between two points just connect them directly with a short patch cable and you don't need a switch at all. You only need to bring a switch into it if you're driving 2 TVs
Yep, one Samsung TV, and one vizio.