Jennov Mini-PTZ port settings / router filtering... something goofy

bbOOmm

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this Jennov Mini-PTZ A76WM55-5X-EA camera. I've finally figured out most of what I need to do with it except....

Using Google Chrome browser, Brave Browser, and Firefox on a linux system, If I type in the local IP address of the camera, like 192.168.x.x, I get the camera's own built in web server long in dialog, when then takes me to a working live video display with PTZ control. But if I try to access the camera's built in web server from outside my network by using my WAN IP and port number of the http port of the camera, like 32.43.x.x:80 I get the camera's web server long in dialog, but after logging in, I have everything BUT the video. I have PTZ control, I can configure the camera's setting etc, everything but the live video.

I'm figuring something is getting filtered by the router. My router is using DD-WRT firmware.... not the usual plug and play screwdriver wizard kind of setup so somewhere in this I'm overlooking something. I don't think this would be a browser issue since I have good video when using the local IP address. What is in this video stream that could be causing a router filter to be triggered?

I have tried disabling the SPI firewall, unchecking all the filtering, nothing seems to let the video pass through.

Any suggestions

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely not recommending port forwarding but in your router did you forward port 80 to the camera's LAN IP in order to get remote (WAN) access to the camera's embeded webGUI?

Last edited:

bbOOmm

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like running anything internet facing with port forwarding, --- curiosity has itched a little part of my brain to the point I need to know ... I need to figure this out.... or I won't sleep. ( I didn't last night... LOL )

Its definitely something in my dd-WRT router settings blocking the video streams. I put the camera's IP addy in the DMZ and I had access to it via the internet. Of course, that was a temporary setup and is now disabled.

The plan is to use my NordVPN account with the MeshNet to remote access the camera and/or NVR video feeds... that is tonights project

But I still have this itch....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't like running anything internet facing with port forwarding, --- curiosity has itched a little part of my brain to the point I need to know ... I need to figure this out.... or I won't sleep. ( I didn't last night... LOL )

Its definitely something in my dd-WRT router settings blocking the video streams. I put the camera's IP addy in the DMZ and I had access to it via the internet. Of course, that was a temporary setup and is now disabled.

The plan is to use my NordVPN account with the MeshNet to remote access the camera and/or NVR video feeds... that is tonights project

But I still have this itch....
That's the wrong type of VPN. That's only to hide your IP and traffic.
Did you read the link I posted above?

bbOOmm

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the wrong type of VPN. That's only to hide your IP and traffic.
Did you read the link I posted above?
Yes, I read it.... I should use a VPN ... I never used the NordVPN MeshNet. From some junk I read, it looked as if it was a more "plug and play" kind of proxy or vpn server connection for the average user.... OK, I'm wrong.... I'll use a real VPN <wink>

Right from NordVPN's website, it sure sounds like MeshNet is like a proxy or vpn...
Setting up port forwarding is another method to have direct remote access to the cameras, without using additional software. Nevertheless, opening ports can leave your network vulnerable to hackers.
By using Meshnet, you can easily access your home IP camera without opening additional ports in your firewall. The connections are made via encrypted tunnels using NordLynx technology. This results in fast and secure access from anywhere in the world.

Last edited: