Jerky HFW5241E-Z12E when large motion comes into shot (LPR)

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this issue? It doesn't miss any frames, it just looks very jerky. I have two cameras and they both do this

This happens on the live feed from the cameras, as well is in the Blue Iris video. I am doing no motion detection or recording on the camera, its all in BI

Its not a huge issue, as I'm still get plates just fine. But its a little annoying

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like slow motion to get the plate LOL.

It looks like it is a capacity issue with a component in your system - I think a component is maxing out and producing the lag. Maybe an i-frame issue or VBR, but leaning towards a component.

You are good with computers, so I doubt it is the usual issue like running a camera through a router, but something is maxing out. How many devices are pulling that camera feed - Blue Iris is, OpenALPR is, is something else? I know from another thread no SD cards. The camera itself may be maxing out with too many devices pulling streams.

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenALPR and Blue Iris, so no more than anyone else. The fact its happening on the Camera UI makes me think its gotta be a camera setting

Not a networking thing, all on on the same VLAN, all 1G ports

Let me less with some camera settings ome more

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Does this camera have a Micro SD card inside and if so how is it defined to be used? Also if one is present what brand and model?

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Huh, I think I had too many Iframes set. They were at 60 with a 30fps video stream. Knocked it down to 30 also and it seems to be smooth

Don't even remember setting that!

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
I did tell this to Ken with BI this is buffering as per KEN I have not determine what causes this as this is random.. So far with latest its to bare min if I notice it at times but its lot less.. here see my post

Also see if you turn off sub stream and just do main stream does it help

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
So far disabling sub-stream, leaving it on VBR and making sure the iframe is 30 seems to have helped

I'm going to leave it be for now and monitor it for a while

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I did tell this to Ken with BI this is buffering as per KEN I have not determine what causes this as this is random.. So far with latest its to bare min if I notice it at times but its lot less.. here see my post

Also see if you turn off sub stream and just do main stream does it help
As in your post this is why I asked if his camera had a Micro SD card inside because you could narrow down the problem. If video is fine on the Micro SD card but not on a NVR / IVR. It could be network, software, computer hardware or a combination of them. One thing that has been a consistent theme over the years with Dahua branded camera's is how it handles recording to on board memory.

Some have seen memory cards become corrupted or broken and thus only use them for motion activated capture vs continuous . . . :facepalm:

What I have seen also is removing the memory card freed up resources in the camera to allow better flow of video data. Given, he doesn't have a memory card inside it could be just this buffering issue with BI. If a standard NVR was present you could prove if this was true or not. If still present with a NVR its going to be a camera / network issue.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, opening the camera web UI and watching the live feed, I can see the lag (Now mostly solved, though)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, opening the camera web UI and watching the live feed, I can see the lag (Now mostly solved, though)
I'd be really curious to know if isolating this camera on its own physical network what the results are. :thumbdown: One thing to consider is if you're running a firewall like pfSense its important to define QOS. This is why you'll always read me saying the video security must always be running on isolated network! This just avoids bandwidth issues with competing data while also helping narrow down root cause.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
All this is on its own VLAN, no firewall in between BI and the camera, or me testing the UI of the camera, and the camera

Its not a networking issue, its a camera issue

The cable run is fluke certified, and a packet capture reveals no issues

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
All this is on its own VLAN, no firewall in between BI and the camera, or me testing the UI of the camera, and the camera

Its not a networking issue, its a camera issue

The cable run is fluke certified, and a packet capture reveals no issues
Welps, if this is truly a camera issue that's a lot of wasted money! :facepalm:

Given this problem seems to appear per the other member on BI and other branded hardware this does indicate BI is one of the issues. If you're seeing this issue via the live web page on a browser and the network is solid. It could very well be the camera simply doesn't have enough processing horsepower / durability to operate over the long run.

If I am called into identify a problem the first thing is sticking to base 1.

• When did this start along with duration and frequency
  • Is this a isolated issue or global to other cameras
  • Check the error logs for everything from camera, switch, router, etc
  • Check the infrastructure for proper wiring, termination, max length, corrosion etc
  • Network line test the two end points and monitor for ping times and packet loss
  • Confirm the network hardware change logs for updates, policy, settings.
  • Power: Confirm power delivery is stable and capable from both end points
  • Compare if the problem is seen on board, NVR, IVR and swap out
  • Swap out the camera and monitor new one while bench testing the old one for reoccurrence
  • Hard reset the device, reinstall firmware, and monitor

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As I stated earlier, and he proved by making changes, that it is simply a processing issue of the camera. Just because it says it is capable of 30FPS doesn't mean it can do so reliably when being taxed in other areas. Running 2 streams from the same stream, maxed out FPS, double i-frame, and VBR all contribute to it working harder.

Our cars are rated for a certain horsepower, but we do not run it constant at that HP or constant redline, even though it is capable...why would a little CPU in a camera be any different. Don't run it at full capabilities and all is good...or a desktop computer - we don't want to run it at 100% CPU either...

He got it to smooth out by matching FPS and iframe and going to CBR, which was just enough to not max out the camera CPU. He probably could have just dropped the FPS to 15 and it would have fixed it too. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the camera as folks here have been using the Z12E for plates reliably for as long as the camera (and the prior Z12E) have been around.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As I stated earlier and he proved by making changes that it is simply a processing issue of the camera. Just because it says it is capable of 30FPS doesn't mean it can do so reliably when being taxed in other areas. Running 2 streams from the same stream, maxed out FPS, double i-frame, and VBR all contribute to it working harder.

Our cars are rated for a certain horsepower, but we do not run it constant at that HP or constant redline, even though it is capable...why would a little CPU in a camera be any different. Don't run it at full capabilities and all is good...

He got it to smooth out by matching FPS and iframe and going to CBR, which was just enough to not max out the camera CPU. He probably could have just dropped the FPS to 15 and it would have fixed it too.
I agree but this doesn't explain a situation where the camera was operating just fine for months / years. This obviously assumes the hardware is designed and built to operate per its specifications. Fluffing up spec's only to find out its great on paper but in real world use it doesn't reflect paper spec's! :mad: