Jewelry Store Help....

USPSAJAY

n3wb
Reaction score
I own a jewelry store and I need to increase/redo my current setup. I also just purchased a laser engraver for firearms marking, so my need for surveillance has exponentially increased. Currently have one Hikvision 3mp cube (actually a great camera), and an older Geovision 1.3mp cube on either side of a central pillar (cams not installed in pic) I also have, but dont use because its a pain to configure, a Geovision FE-420 4mp hemispherical cam.

My shop is a simple 20x60, 12ft ceilings, an all glass frontage with a single entrance door on magnetic buzzer. My lights in shop stay on 24hrs.
ANY help, while I voraciously scour the forums for information, is most appreciated. :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Judging from your handle I'm guessing you have the self protection part covered ;) I'm IDPA myself but have vowed to try USPSA this year.
I'll also assume you have the BAS covered (Big Ass Safe)

I'm an amateur myself so will let the Pros weigh in, but I'd start with two in the corners behind the register, one focused close, the other more to the door, and one above the front door looking in towards the register. Hard to beat the 2MP Dahua Vari-focal Starlight Turrets, but if you can assure good lighting 24/7 may try one 4MP to gain a bit more detail... I personally like one outside at the door in plain site as well. Preferably in IR mode so they see the glowing red eyes...

Someone with far more knowledge will hopefully stop by with better suggestions, POS at the register maybe?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
With great lighting and little need for IR I would look at 4mp 4mm and 6mm cameras for that setup, maybe a single 2.8 in one corner for a full shop over view to watch movement around the store. However, those 4mm and 6mm will let you ID anyone moving around. That center pillar is the perfect spot to mount a 6mm and get those nice face shots as they walk in the door.

USPSAJAY

n3wb
Reaction score
Ha, IDPA here as well. :)
Mount cams no higher than 8ft for face iding purpose's.
Thank!! Trying IDPA this summer :)
Judging from your handle I'm guessing you have the self protection part covered ;) I'm IDPA myself but have vowed to try USPSA this year.
I'll also assume you have the BAS covered (Big Ass Safe)
?
Nice to be in the company of some shooters! Trying IDPA this summer, waiting for a Glock 17 to be built with a fitted KKM barrel :) Huge 2500LB TL-15 rated safe drilled down, with a tall 3000lb TL-30 enroute for safe storage of firearms
With great lighting and little need for IR I would look at 4mp 4mm and 6mm cameras for that setup, maybe a single 2.8 in one corner for a full shop over view to watch movement around the store. However, those 4mm and 6mm will let you ID anyone moving around. That center pillar is the perfect spot to mount a 6mm and get those nice face shots as they walk in the door.
Im def thinking of 4mp++
Ill attach a screen shot of my pillar mounted HIK ds-2cd2432f-iw

Attachments