Joystick for PTZ control...anybody installed one?

Reaction score
Had a guy ask about installing a joystick or something better than using the mouse to control his PTZ cameras. He has 4 installed around his property/House. They are set up in a simple config with 1 home location, auto tracking for anything that enters the home location.....so he asked if there was a better way to control the PTZ than just a mouse if he wanted to....the answer was ...No not reallly......I remained quite.

(dahua NVR and PTZ's with other dahua stationary cameras) Not unusual for him to give cash tip for hard work.
I know they make 1 that connect's to rs485 port and other ways to connect them. What is a favorite of those of you guys that have tried one or two out?

NKB1000-E PTZ Camera Controller with 3D (Pan Tilt Zoom) Joystick Keyboard for Dahua CCTV High Speed Camera - is one i saw on Amazon.

Thanks

Revo2Maxx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The one you mention I use and another location I use the Hikvision DS1200Ki keyboard. Both are easy to setup and use. Don't know what type of NVR they are using but even an older RS-485 keyboard can work on some of the higher end NVRs. Yet for ease of use. Network connected keyboard is better for some if the PTZ cameras are connected to the same range.. If all the cameras are connected POE port of NVR and NVR supports the other option then all up to the end user and what options they will want to use. Just like cameras not all keyboard are created equal. For me today 3-axis or 4 is best I do still have an older 2 axis I use at my cabin..

Device number in your NVR is one of the things I change at first setup. You know that number that always seems to come stock as 8. That will be part of the setup process of the keyboard so it knows what device you want to access. There wasn't many videos when I got mine. I am sure there should be plenty to get them setup and running and learn the rest along the way..

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to say easier, but these do control it better than using mouse. I have had mine well over a year now and am comfortable with running it and switching between cams. The setting up and configuring DOES take some reading and time AND you must log in every time the Keyboard loses power, but I'm still very happy with mine. Are they for everyone, I would say probably not unless you are a camera nut like me :)

empiretech01.com/collections/keyboard-series