JPEG Posting Issue

Reaction score
We post hourly day-time snapshots to our model airplane club's website from three of our security cameras, for the benefit of our members: (, , ). The flying field is in a remote area without wide-band Internet access, so we have an LTE modem with a limited data plan to provide remote access to the cameras for security functions, and for the hourly JPEG posting. On occasion, one or more of the hourly posts are unsuccessful due, I believe, to latency in uploading the JPEGs to the FTP site that hosts our website. The posting failure rate increases when inclement weather impacts the effective LTE data rate. The failure rate also increased when we added the third camera (Cam5) to the hourly posting this summer. I have tried to use the BI Post dialog to stagger the three postings (e.g., cancelling then re-initiating the Post function for a camera a few minutes later), but it appears that BI uses a single timer and sequences the posts together at the top of the hour. It doesn't appear that any of the other options in the BI Camera/Image Posting dialog would be of help. I was wondering if anyone has experienced a similar image posting issue due to multiple cameras posting with the same time period.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd try the following:

1) Lower quality and/or resolution to achieve individual image sizes of not over 200K. A 1280 x 720 image should be sufficient, IMO.
2) Stagger the 3 camera uploads: Cam1 at 3,600 seconds, (1 hour); Cam3 at 3,900 seconds (1 hour and 5 minutes) and Cam5 at 4,200 seconds (1 hour and 10 minutes).
This will allow 5 minutes to upload a single image of not over 200K in size, one at a time, which should be doable with even a dismal upload speed.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The issue isn't one of latency. It is just a poor connection. Wireless communications are notoriously unreliable. I think Blue Iris only tries to upload once, and if there is any connection failure it will not try again until the next time interval.

When the posting interval evenly divides into a time interval, Blue Iris will synchronize it with the clock. E.g. If you use an interval of 1 hour it will happen on the moment the hour changes. If you use an interval of 10 minutes, it will occur at 5:00, 5:10, 5:20, etc.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Charlie Gettier ,

I haven't used this method, but the "Post" tab for each camera also allows each cam to FTP only during a specified profile or profiles which could be scheduled so that's an alternative.
It may be more entailed in setting up than my first suggestion but perhaps more flexible.

Reaction score
OK. Thanks, all, for the suggestions. From the get-go, I reduced the image quality / resolution to save on our data plan. But perhaps I'll try reducing further as suggested. Subsequent to my post, I tried staggering the timing by by 10 seconds between each camera's posting period. This seems to help a bit. But I may try a longer (e.g., 10 minute) difference, as suggested.

Thanks, again, for the help.

Reaction score
This is a follow-up to my original 12/20/19 post above, concerning frequent failure of one or more of three cameras to post approximately hourly JPEGS to an FTP site that hosts our club website. I have investigated nearly all suggestions. I have reduced JPEG file size to under 120 kB and staggered posting periods: currently 60 minutes (3600 seconds), 73 minutes (4380 seconds), and 87 minutes (5220 seconds) for the three cameras. We have recently upgraded our host web service to a dedicated server with significantly more memory and file storage capacity than before. Still, quite often, at least one of the periodic postings fails. I do not believe, as I did previously, that signal quality associated with the LTE modem at the remote site is at fault. I can always log into the site from home via Chrome Remote Desktop and observe nearly flawless real-time 15-FPS video from all three cameras - certainly more of a strain on available information bandwidth than three periodic 120-kB JPEGS. In other posts, I’ve read that BI uses a single hour-based clock reference to time FTP posting. For example, upon setup with the posting periods shown above, the first camera always posts at the top of the hour (say 12:00 noon), the second camera would initially post at 1:13 pm, the third camera would post at 1:27 pm. The next postings would occur at 1:00 pm, 2:26 pm, and 2:54 pm respectively for the three cameras, and so on. Since the posting periods are different for the three cameras, there will eventually be overlaps / interference in individual camera posting attempts. In a simple simulation of the first 40 hours of activity with the timing scenario shown here, there would be three instances of exact overlap (zero difference in clock time) in posting attempts between two cameras. Due to latency involved in completion of the actual posting function (e.g., time required to establish connection with the FTP site, etc.), overlap/interference events are more frequent. In this 40-hour simulation scenario, there are eight occurrences of two cameras posting within three minutes difference in clock time, and 11 occurrences within five minutes difference in clock time. Bottom line, I believe the major cause of failed periodic FTP posts I’ve been observing is due to the single hour-based clock reference within BI. An alternative approach, which could conceivably be embodied in a future BI option, would enable the user to define a single posting period (e.g., 60 minutes) staggered throughout the hour, e.g., top of the hour for the first camera, 20 minutes after the hour for the second camera, 40 minutes after the hour for the third camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In the FTP server configuration in Blue Iris, have you got a reasonable number for the Idle disconnect and Max connections values?