Judge my placements

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Installed my first two cameras yesterday. Pretty pleased with height on the front door camera, made a compromise on driveway cam. I went with the soffit height.
Driveway cam spec: Ipc-T5442T-ZE
Front door spec: Ipc-E3241F-AS-M

The driveway cam is approximately 11ft above ground. The front door is at my eye level.

DFF983B8-005D-4004-AB02-8120A9E309F0.jpeg0DA0475B-2E14-48ED-9D1C-A091ECF7CC1E.jpeg4248505B-E8FC-4B0C-AB17-932F6BA728DF.jpeg

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good start for a system!

If a vehicle is out overnight, you will want another one on the other side of the garage.
I do have another 5442T to place. If I were to use them both for front drive I might want to move the first placement shown to the left (facing garage door from outside), and put the second one at the right soffit corner. Food for thought…

Reaction score
Looks pretty good. But the real test is seeing how a person walking up to your car looks, especially at night. Same goes for the front door cam. Full size stills not phone grabs.

BTW, like you Jeep roof racks. Which ones are those and are you happy with them? Do they make a lot of noise going down the highway? Are they easy to take off and put back on?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you get more of the car and other street from the door cam? It's good to have multiple angles on things. Then you could go with another angled from other side of the car to get it again and the street that's in view in your pic.

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. But the real test is seeing how a person walking up to your car looks, especially at night. Same goes for the front door cam. Full size stills not phone grabs.

BTW, like you Jeep roof racks. Which ones are those and are you happy with them? Do they make a lot of noise going down the highway? Are they easy to take off and put back on?
I’ll be doing those tests these next couple days wandering around my car at night and walking up to the door. I need to build my experience in the multitude of settings these cameras have.

As for the roof cross rails, they are a Mopar accessory. Much better than the factory option roof rails.
I found them on ebay. They are ok to move and take off, but it is not tool-free. They came with a allen (hex key) wrench that you use to tighten the clamps that grab the fore-aft rail. I just keep that key in the glove box.

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you get more of the car and other street from the door cam? It's good to have multiple angles on things. Then you could go with another angled from other side of the car to get it again and the street that's in view in your pic.
i think i would lean more towards another camera to get a second angle on the cars as mentioned by wittaj. Then move the turret a bit to have a better look at drivers door of the car. Does it make sense to keep the front door cam pointed as straight out as possible?

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The garage camera would be better if it was installed on the wall. You could place it just above the garage door and hide the wire by running it next to the trim. It looks like that would lower the camera by about 2'. That doesn't seem like a lot, but the lower you can get that camera, the more likely you are to capture details in a person's face. The higher the camera is, the more likely you will capture details of the top of a person's head.

Reaction score
Does it make sense to keep the front door cam pointed as straight out as possible?
That depends. The goal is to get a good face shot of anyone coming to the door no matter how they approach.

As far as the driveway, you want to frame it from both sides as much as possible, again concentrating on getting that face shot. Mounting height is critical if the cap sweet spot is close to the cam, but as the distance increases, the angle gets cut down. See diagram.
Angle of attack.jpg

This is my driveway set up. Might help you formulate a plan.

DSC_5571.JPG Screenshot 2022-04-19 102350.JPG

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The garage camera would be better if it was installed on the wall. You could place it just above the garage door and hide the wire by running it next to the trim. It looks like that would lower the camera by about 2'. That doesn't seem like a lot, but the lower you can get that camera, the more likely you are to capture details in a person's face. The higher the camera is, the more likely you will capture details of the top of a person's head.
If I decide to mount to the wall I can hide the wire inside the wall pretty easily. The garage interior is unfinished. I may go this route. Might have to move my house numbers lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You almost cannot go too low LOL.

People have put them in bushes, under the 2nd step, landscape lighting, etc.

As long as you have one at about head height, one low to the ground is a great compliment to get the perp that is looking down to avoid their face being seen where they typically expect to see cameras.

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If that's the case, I would probably tell you to mount it even lower on the wall next to the garage door.
The accent stone to me seems like a messier mount than brick (highly uneven, hard to patch or hide holes when selling). I would probably have to live with this update, including getting WAF buy-in:
46341FE2-23FA-4160-B310-AF0B01226D25.jpeg

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless you are moving in the next year or two, I doubt that you would bother removing the cams. I know that I would just leave them for the next owner.
You know, i had not framed it like that in my head. I could leave them and feature them in the sale for enough $$$ to toss at Andy for whatever new model is out when I move. Provided buyers give a care I guess…

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You know, i had not framed it like that in my head. I could leave them and feature them in the sale for enough $$$ to toss at Andy for whatever new model is out when I move. Provided buyers give a care I guess…
FWIW - if everything gets back to what we expect .. I would be looking to replaces cameras which are over 5 years old .. and I would not worry about giving the cameras I installed on my home should I sell it as long as I can buy more / better easily .. to me the value is great while I live there ..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The accent stone to me seems like a messier mount than brick (highly uneven, hard to patch or hide holes when selling). I would probably have to live with this update, including getting WAF buy-in:
View attachment 125668
Looks good, or even "inside of the overhead door jamb " .. remember you can paint the camera to match the home, so that often helps with WAF ..