Junction Box install

genner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

For an outside IP camera installation using a junction box on wood siding, which is a better method of install? First time installing.... The IP Camera's external connection wires are a CAT5 female connector and a power connector similar to this, 1637803851087.pngbut instead of the the color strands on the other end as shown in the sample photo, they are basically weather sealed inside of the camera(unable to disconnect this from inside the camera). The cable length is long enough to be pulled from the Outside wall to inside the garage wall. I will be using an external camera junction box as well to mount the camera to.
The question is, is it better to pull the camera's wire connection(which will need a slightly bigger hole to accommodate the bulky weather cat5 connector) through the junction box from the outside wall into the inside garage wall and make the POE CAT6 connection inside the garage?
Or is it better to drill a smaller hole for the CAT6 wire coming from inside the garage, to be pull it into the junction box and then make all the connections inside the junction box? Not sure if it matters but this IP camera is a turret style, therefore wiring can be visible from the bottom side of the camera. As an example, this turret camera shows the gap which will expose all of the wires stuffed inside the junction box. 1637804336831.pngMy camera will be wall mounted so the gap will be facing downward which will be visible to anyone who want to walk up to the camera and look up at it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

For an outside IP camera installation using a junction box on wood siding, which is a better method of install? First time installing.... The IP Camera's external connection wires are a CAT5 female connector and a power connector similar to this, View attachment 109639but instead of the the color strands on the other end as shown in the sample photo, they are basically weather sealed inside of the camera(unable to disconnect this from inside the camera). The cable length is long enough to be pulled from the Outside wall to inside the garage wall. I will be using an external camera junction box as well to mount the camera to.
The question is, is it better to pull the camera's wire connection(which will need a slightly bigger hole to accommodate the bulky weather cat5 connector) through the junction box from the outside wall into the inside garage wall and make the POE CAT6 connection inside the garage?
Or is it better to drill a smaller hole for the CAT6 wire coming from inside the garage, to be pull it into the junction box and then make all the connections inside the junction box? Not sure if it matters but this IP camera is a turret style, therefore wiring can be visible from the bottom side of the camera. As an example, this turret camera shows the gap which will expose all of the wires stuffed inside the junction box. View attachment 109640My camera will be wall mounted so the gap will be facing downward which will be visible to anyone who want to walk up to the camera and look up at it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi @genner

Many of us use bulk cat5e/6 cables and run the cable outside via a smaller hole to the conduit / junction box.

When using a junction box, you want to make the connection in the box and leave the pigtail there .. remember to seal the connection and put a little dielectric gel in the RJ45 boot ..

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
thank you @mat200 for the input. Do I still need the dielectric gel even if the camera came with these weather proof connectors like these? View attachment 110320
Just a heads up, the junction box looks big, but when you try to tuck that pigtail (they make it a little too long), the protective connector, and some cat6 (especially if it has a spline), it can be a bitch. Especially if you are using a varifocal 5442 with the PFA130 (the base of the camera covers the holes to mount the lid). If you're not running through conduit into the side of the junction box, I'd say there is nothing wrong with running the pigtail straight into the garage and making the connection in there. We essentially did this with one of my brother's cameras. And yes, always use the dielectric grease if the connection will not be in a climate controlled room. Use the weather proof connection for that extra layer of protection in the garage too.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thank you @mat200 for the input. Do I still need the dielectric gel even if the camera came with these weather proof connectors like these? View attachment 110320
Hi @genner

For a junction box I normally replace those with silicone stretch tape or coax seal over the RJ45 connection ( which I've put a little di-electric gel into ), and try to place that connection to the upper side of the box ( in case water gets in the box )

genner

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello @Zook thank you for your input. Yeah I think trying to fix Cat6 and the weather connector inside the junction box will make the cat6 cable from the garage side and the cable from the camera side bend(~90 degrees) more than I would like it to. Not sure if that is ok or recommended? Yet at the same time I am not sure if I should force it fit or to just drill a bigger hole in the wall to make all the connections into the garage side. I suppose I would then have to caulk around the camera cable at both the Outside wall and the inside garage sheetrock. But I am also thinking if I ever need to replace this camera it won't be quite that easy. Are there such a thing like grommets the size to accommodate the weather connector like they do for COAX?

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Robert hocevar and @mat200 thank you! Sounds like I will need to pick up some dielectric gel.
You will be happy you did! I use it on any connector that will be outside. well, I even use it on switches and nvr's. home depot have it in a can for about 10 bucks and it last for ever. or until something in your truck hits the handle and the shit covers everything in your tool bag!. I learned to keep it in my glove box until needed!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
... Yeah I think trying to fix Cat6 and the weather connector inside the junction box will make the cat6 cable from the garage side and the cable from the camera side bend(~90 degrees) more than I would like it to. Not sure if that is ok or recommended? ..
Definitely try not to over bend the cat5e/6 cables .. normally I try to not force a bend, .. too tight and the wires or sheath can be damaged

Here's an example of a answer on this topic I found

Minimum Bend Radius for a Category 5e or 6 Cable
Manufacturers and industry associations have established standards for the minimum bend radius for Cat5e and other types of communications cable. This bend radius will differ according to cable design. The minimum bend radius for Category 6, 5, and 5e cable is four times the cable diameter, or approximately 1 inch. When cabling is bent beyond this specified radius, it can cause transmission failures. Cable manufacturers will normally provide the minimum radius to bend the cable without compromising it during installation and use. These bend radius specifications may be different.

ref:

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello @Zook thank you for your input. Yeah I think trying to fix Cat6 and the weather connector inside the junction box will make the cat6 cable from the garage side and the cable from the camera side bend(~90 degrees) more than I would like it to. Not sure if that is ok or recommended? Yet at the same time I am not sure if I should force it fit or to just drill a bigger hole in the wall to make all the connections into the garage side. I suppose I would then have to caulk around the camera cable at both the Outside wall and the inside garage sheetrock. But I am also thinking if I ever need to replace this camera it won't be quite that easy. Are there such a thing like grommets the size to accommodate the weather connector like they do for COAX?
Definitely do NOT bend the cat5/6 at a firm 90 degree/right angle, you need some curve in it. When we ran it into my brothers siding, we just used some silicone to seal the hole. Depending on how big you drill the hole, you may or may not be able to find a grommet that fits. I think you should be able to find a grommet to fit if you're just drilling big enough for the connections on the back of your camera. You should be able to steal one from a spare junction box if you have one. And even using a grommet, I suggest using some silicone or sealant around the top half of the junction box to prevent water from making its way behind it.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to follow the golden rule: measure twice, cut once. Also have everything you need already sized up and purchased (such as the grommet), that way you're not looking for a solution to a problem you may have just caused yourself.