Just a friendly reminder!

Discussion in 'Pics & Videos' started by rufunky, Jun 12, 2018.

Share This Page

1. rufunky

rufunky Getting the hang of it

Just a friendly reminder to take a few minutes and clean the glass in front of those camera lenses. Like night and day :)
    clean-1.jpg

2. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Wow big difference

rufunky and fenderman like this.
  3. RicRat2009

RicRat2009 Getting the hang of it

Trying to figure out a way to put something on a pole extension so I don't have to pull out a heavy ass ladder. Got some spots from the rain the other day.

rufunky likes this.
  4. rufunky

rufunky Getting the hang of it

:wave:

bigredfish likes this.
  5. PapaBill

PapaBill Getting the hang of it

Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
    WOW that was kewl!, I didn't even see the guy in the dirty pic, but after ya cleaned it BOOM! THERE HE WAS!
    :rofl::lmao:

Dave88LX, j4co, Ckb3 and 2 others like this.
  6. bababouy

bababouy Getting comfortable

Good reminder. While everyone is at it, check your recording and HDD and make sure your cameras are recording what they should be. Have your wife walk around with a stuffed bear, then pull the video to be sure everything is recording properly.

7. CCTVCam

CCTVCam Pulling my weight

Just one thing to bear in mind with water fed poles, the ones window cleaners use, don't use tap water. They use filtered water treated by passing it through an ion exchange resin to remove the dissolved minerals, so as to prevent water spotting from minerals in the water. (Same as you get when you wash your car but don't wipe it clean afterwards).

eg. nLite HydroPower™ DI Starter Set

Water spotting not only looks unsightly (and in this scenario could affect a picture), but can actually lead to glass etching.

I've nearly bought one of these several times in the past for my windows, but could never justify the cost. Might be worth it for a CCTV setup though.

PS nearly forgot, you're also going to need a pump system to feed the filter and pole. There are one or two small back pack systems available. Couldn't comment on these as never seen them used.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  8. Carver

Carver n3wb

@CCTVCam: Just to clarify, tap water can actually lead to window glass etching?

9. CCTVCam

Carver and looney2ns like this.
  10. Carver

Carver n3wb

@CCTVCam: Thank you, especially for the links.

11. GCoco

GCoco Getting the hang of it

Pure Dihydrogen Monoxide is an excellent cleaner for everything including camera lens.

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Scholza2 and JonW like this.
  12. CCTVCam

If it mutates DNA surely it's carcinogenic, in which case, I'll give it a miss.

Best solution is not to get etching in the first place, closely followed by polishing with a glass polishing compound if you do. One way to avoid water spotting is to wipe the glass dry with a cloth that doesn't shed fibres before the minerals have time to crystallise out. Another way is to use filtered water. If washing CCTV and you can physically get up a ladder to it, then one way without buying expensive equipment would be to buy some de-ionised water intended for car batteries (sold in bottles at most car accessory places), and use that when cleaning it by hand. Shouldn't be any need to detergent (which will re-introduce mineral ions), just a wet cloth with de-ionised should do the trick. When they wash windows with filtered water, they don't use detergents.

13. jbc60

jbc60 n3wb

not sure why bugs like to sit on my camera lens, but have webs and insects just sitting on some of my cams....In the barn, a fly (alive) has chosen his favorite place to sit, right on the lens...that's life...

14. GCoco

GCoco Getting the hang of it

Does anyone know what Dihydrogen Monoxide actually is?

15. GaryFunk

GaryFunk Getting the hang of it

Yes. It's the substance that many GreenPeace sheep wanted to have banned.

16. marku2

marku2 Getting comfortable

Rain x best product ever even make one for plastic domes

17. CCTVCam

There are far more powerful nano tech based rain repellent products than RainX.

I couldn't recommend anything for CCTV as no experience with them in that environment, but for as most of these products are also used for car windscreens detailing, products to consider especially for glass might be GTechnic G5 (glass and perspex), Anglewax H2Go (glass only so far as I have seen) and others.

Just a word of warning though - these bond permanently to the surface and so you either have to wait for them to wear off, or machine polish them off with a glass polish (obviously possibly maybe with a glass lens on CCTV depending on the lens projection, but a no-no on a plastic dome, although there are perspex polishes out there).

18. marku2

marku2 Getting comfortable

Used rain x for many years it’s affordable and works well
    Even on our lexan rockbreaker screens yes there’s more expensive stuff out there
    My shower screen in the bathroom look awesome with rainx too
    Mr sheen on glass works amazing too

19. CCTVCam

Not knocking RainX. However, I frequent professional vehicle detailing forums, and it's not the product of choice for many pro's.

I've personally used Gtechnic G5 on the side windows of my car and found it very good. Without the movement of a vehicle through the air, CCTV is different and so I can't make a specific recommendation other than to say RainX is designed also for car windscreens. It's up to someone to try others at their own risk therefore just being aware of the bonding properties of some of these products.

20. Frankenscript

Frankenscript Getting the hang of it

I've never understood the desire to have a surface tension agent on a car windscreen. I'd rather have the water sheet in a a way I can see through it than be all beaded up in between wiper swipes. As far as I'm concerned, it's awful stuff to put on windshields. I'd rather have a sticky silane rather than a slippery one. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

21. GaryFunk

GaryFunk Getting the hang of it

I'm so glad we use glass windshields in U.S.

22. CCTVCam

We're getting a little off topic but nanotechnological coatings cause the water to sheet not bead by filling in the small imperfections in the glass surface that water and dirt can cling to:

Not my vids:

That said on windscreens I prefer wipers! Some coatings when wiped definitely smear and even for those that don't, personally I think a wiped screen is clearer. Never understood why people don't want to use perfectly good wipers! That said these coatings are good for side windows and may help CCTV although I stress again the latter is an unknown element for me.

23. 58chev

58chev Getting the hang of it

:headbang: The dihydrogen monoxide hoax involves calling water by the unfamiliar chemical name "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO)

But lets ban it anyway. LOL

CCTVCam and TonyR like this.
  24. TonyR

TonyR Known around here

25. Snapper30

Snapper30 Getting the hang of it

Wow, that is a noticeable difference! @rufunky How long since the lens had been cleaned?

Love the hoax info too.

26. wpiman

wpiman n3wb

I wonder if my cleaning ladder climbs ladders...

58chev likes this.